Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starting over

I seemed to have messed up uberly whalst making a partition with Ubuntu and Fedora on it. Kernel 2.6.12-1 (I think) gets a kernel panic and stops booting. After fiddling with menu.lst many, MANY times, I decided to just start over.

Wht I did this time was installed Fedora first, and then thought about having another OS. I didn't partition until I had put in the Ubuntu installation cd. When I did the partitioning, I split the hd directly in half (or as close as it would allow me), and it automatically created a swap partition.

Here's what I want to do: I know I can't have Ubuntu and Fedora share stuff since they are different OS, and they have different bases, Fedora is rpm and Ubuntu is debian. Even though they'll be separate, I want them to access each other's filesystem. So if I go to "Computer" there's be a little icon labeled with the other OS, and I'd be able to click it and access it's filesystem.

I'm really new to partitioning, so I'm not quite sure how I must go about doing this. I was suggested to, not only have a boot partition, but a root partition and a swap partition. How would I go about doing this with either Ubuntu or Fedora (I think I'm going to install Ubuntu first)? He told me how much each partition should get, and told me to look for some guides.

When I searched for some guides, I got this. Hopefully that'll help me out. If someone could help me out throughout this whole process that would be great. I won't start doing this until Monday.