Sign in to follow this  
hybrid

Choppy sound/disappearing mouse

I have just reinstalled Windows XP Home SP2 and have got this problem for the second time. This problem has just reinforced my view that Linux is so much better than Windows ;). If any of you know anything that might be able to help me, I would be very grateful.

Sounds on Windows are now extremely choppy, especially this is noticable at startup and shutdown with the Windows XP sounds. Also, after logging on and using a program or two, the mouse pointer freezes and stays in one position. It still works, but you can't see it, so you have to guess by rollover effects where the pointer is. There is a workaround to use the Show location of pointer when I press Ctrl in the Mouse Properties, and this is how I'm actually forced to use Windows.

As far as I can tell, this problem started just after installing Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition (with MSDN and MS SQL Server). Since this brings along .NET Framework 2.0 and MSXML 6.0, however, I'm not sure what is doing this. I've tried removing all the components of VB2005, to no avail. I've also already just rebuilt Windows from having this problem, so I'm not very happy with Microsoft at the moment. <_<

From Googling my problem, the only related thing I've found has been:

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Security/Q_21641382.html

But I don't have a subscription, so I can't see the answer. :( I don't think it's spyware, though, because this is a completely new installation of Windows.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

you dont need a subsription on that site,

just scroll down to see the replies

;)

cheers

anyweb

you dont need a subsription on that site,

just scroll down to see the replies

;)

cheers

anyweb

Thanks, anyweb, I'd never realised that :)

From looking at that and its links, I'm still not sure why this is happening.

I've now got results from Process Explorer, Autoruns and Rootkit Revealer, if that helps anyone.

Process Explorer:

Process	PID	CPU	Description	Company Name
System Idle Process	0	98.46		
Interrupts	n/a		Hardware Interrupts	
DPCs	n/a		Deferred Procedure Calls	
System	4			
 SMSS.EXE	564		Windows NT Session Manager	Microsoft Corporation
  CSRSS.EXE	612	0.77	Client Server Runtime Process	Microsoft Corporation
  WINLOGON.EXE	636		Windows NT Logon Application	Microsoft Corporation
SERVICES.EXE	680		Services and Controller app	Microsoft Corporation
 SVCHOST.EXE	856		Generic Host Process for Win32 Services	Microsoft Corporation
 SVCHOST.EXE	912		Generic Host Process for Win32 Services	Microsoft Corporation
 SVCHOST.EXE	980		Generic Host Process for Win32 Services	Microsoft Corporation
  wuauclt.exe	2652		Automatic Updates	Microsoft Corporation
 SVCHOST.EXE	1068		Generic Host Process for Win32 Services	Microsoft Corporation
 SVCHOST.EXE	1124		Generic Host Process for Win32 Services	Microsoft Corporation
 ccProxy.exe	1172		Symantec Network Proxy Service	Symantec Corporation
 ccSetMgr.exe	1192		Symantec Settings Manager Service	Symantec Corporation
 ISSVC.EXE	1244		IS Service	Symantec Corporation
 SNDSrvc.exe	1256		Network Driver Service	Symantec Corporation
 SPBBCSvc.exe	1272		SPBBC Service	Symantec Corporation
 ccEvtMgr.exe	1368		Symantec Event Manager Service	Symantec Corporation
 LEXBCES.EXE	1656		LexBce Service	Lexmark International, Inc.
  LEXPPS.EXE	1748		LEXPPS.EXE	Lexmark International, Inc.
 SPOOLSV.EXE	1740		Spooler SubSystem App	Microsoft Corporation
 MSCORSVW.EXE	1924		.NET Runtime Optimization Service	Microsoft Corporation
 GEARSEC.EXE	1960		gearsec	GEAR Software
 MDM.EXE	1980		Machine Debug Manager	Microsoft Corporation
 NAVAPSVC.EXE	2008		Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service	Symantec Corporation
 NVSVC32.EXE	396		NVIDIA Driver Helper Service, Version 81.95	NVIDIA Corporation
 SYMLCSVC.EXE	812		Symantec Core Component	Symantec Corporation
 WDFMGR.EXE	1004		Windows User Mode Driver Manager	Microsoft Corporation
 PQV2iSvc.exe	1220		V2i Protector Service Module	PowerQuest Corporation
 ALG.EXE	3196		Application Layer Gateway Service	Microsoft Corporation
 SVCHOST.EXE	3696		Generic Host Process for Win32 Services	Microsoft Corporation
LSASS.EXE	692		LSA Shell (Export Version)	Microsoft Corporation
EXPLORER.EXE	600		Windows Explorer	Microsoft Corporation
SOUNDMAN.EXE	2136		Realtek Sound Manager	Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
ccApp.exe	2152		Symantec User Session	Symantec Corporation
StartupMonitor.exe	2196			
CTFMON.EXE	2240		CTF Loader	Microsoft Corporation
FIREFOX.EXE	144		Firefox	Mozilla Corporation
procexp.exe	2428	0.77	Sysinternals Process Explorer	Sysinternals

Process: Procexp Pid: -2

Type	Name

Will have to split into two posts :)

Edited by hybrid

Autoruns won't actually fit into a post, so I'll find somewhere to host it.

Rootkit Revealer:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Prefetcher\TracesProcessed	18/12/2005 14:53	4 bytes	Data mismatch between Windows API and raw hive data.
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\msodata035.dat	18/12/2005 14:58	1.36 KB	Hidden from Windows API.
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\msodata036.dat	18/12/2005 14:58	3.57 KB	Hidden from Windows API.
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\9eth3rpv.default\Cache\0EA9F058d01	18/12/2005 14:59	44.46 KB	Hidden from Windows API.
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\9eth3rpv.default\Cache\98CB2FE9d01	18/12/2005 15:00	558.46 KB	Hidden from Windows API.
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\9eth3rpv.default\Cache\CC40D7EEd01	18/12/2005 14:59	19.42 KB	Hidden from Windows API.
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\9eth3rpv.default\Cache\E0EB16ECd01	18/12/2005 14:59	80.38 KB	Hidden from Windows API.
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Local Settings\Temp\~DFE38F.tmp	18/12/2005 14:44	112.00 KB	Visible in Windows API, but not in MFT or directory index.
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Recent\ProcessExplorerNt.lnk	18/12/2005 15:00	460 bytes	Hidden from Windows API.
C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Recent\README.TXT.lnk	18/12/2005 15:00	603 bytes	Hidden from Windows API.

Quick browse of the processes:

GEARSEC.EXE - 1960 - gearsec - GEAR Software

PQV2iSvc.exe - 1220 - V2i Protector Service Module - PowerQuest Corporation

Haven't seen these before... quick google indicates both are normally known utils (dvd copier and backup util). Remember though that you can name a process anything. Other than that all the processes look to be normal.

Also glancing in ProcExp .. you can see that nothing is using the CPU really:

CSRSS.EXE - 612 - 0.77 - Client Server Runtime Process - Microsoft Corporation

procexp.exe - 2428 - 0.77 - Sysinternals Process Explorer - Sysinternals

Rootkit Revealer

All this reveals is nothing really :)

I can't seem anything in either of those logs to suggest anything of the spyware/virus ilk.

Yeah, I'm not really expecting spyware on this Windows build, as I only built it yesterday, and it's only got Office and other essentials on it.

GEARSEC.EXE - 1960 - gearsec - GEAR Software

I don't know what this is, and I don't have a DVD copier program that I know of. However, users on this site seem to think the following:

PART OF ITUNES! trust me really i installed itunes and then this is in my task list

I do have iTunes installed (and PowerDVD 5.0 for that matter), so one of these may explain that.

Another user thinks it is "PowerQuest Drive Image 2000", which might make some sense (see below), even though I have v7.0.

PQV2iSvc.exe - 1220 - V2i Protector Service Module - PowerQuest Corporation

This is part of PowerQuest Drive Image 7.0, which I have and use, so this should be running.

But I still don't know what makes my sound choppy and mouse cursor disappear. I'm not even sure it relates to Visual Studio/.NET and I haven't been able to get a stable version of Windows running since my fairly major PHP problem on Linux (I don't know what happened with that either.).

I'm intrigued, confused and frustrated with having just spent a day installing an unstable copy of Windows, but if I knew which piece of software was causing this, I could avoid it and reinstall.

But installing Windows again would break Linux and GRUB. :( Sometimes don't you just hate Windows? ;)

Thanks for the help anyway, znx. :)

some unexplained windows problems are due to bad drivers or lack of drivers

so.... if your pc is an OEM pc, then go to the OEM site and download and install every driver for your machine that is available.

most important one is the CHIPSET driver

cheers

anyweb

It turns out I have two problems here (the sound, and the mouse) and they are unrelated, despite the fact that they started at about the same time.

I have a 1.5 GB NTFS partition on my second HD to use as a Windows swap drive. I switched to using swapfile from the C: drive and the sound corruption is gone. :) Might be a problem on the physical disk, but for now, that bit is done. One down, one to go :).

The mouse seems to stop working almost immediately upon opening an Office 2003 application (particularly Outlook, because it loads both itself and MS Word for writing emails, I guess). I've tried reinstalling Office, disabling Norton Internet Security's integration with Office to no avail. It might be that my original suspicions about .NET 2.0 and/or Visual Studio were wrong. So, this question is still open and isn't fixed yet.

So, a mixed result from this problem so far. :mellow:

Worked it out. :D

It was PQV2iSvc.exe (which should be running and has worked for a long time without problem). I watched Task Manager's processes tab whilst using MS Word and there were CPU spikes of between 50-80% caused by PQV2iSvc. Setting the service's startup setting to Manual fixed the mouse. Thankfully, if I do need to do a backup, Drive Image automatically starts the service when it starts, so there is no impact on my system.

Thanks for the ideas guys, but I got there in the end :).

good detective work is required for admins these days ;)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this