Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual Booting Newbie Question

Hi,

I just loaded SuSe Linux on a second hard drive about a week ago. As I don't want to get rid of Windows XP (on my other hard drive) entirely, I have been switching hard drives physicly when I wanted to switch. I was hoping that I could leave both hard drives in the whole time and it would give me the option of where to boot to. Does anyone know how I can do that?

Thanks in advance,

Greeves

Quote:Hi,I just loaded SuSe Linux on a second hard drive about a week ago. As I don't want to get rid of Windows XP (on my other hard drive) entirely, I have been switching hard drives physicly when I wanted to switch. I was hoping that I could leave both hard drives in the whole time and it would give me the option of where to boot to. Does anyone know how I can do that?

Thanks in advance,

Greeves

What is the state of the hard drive on your Windows disk? Is it one big NTFS partition, or have you customised it?

You can get a screenshot your setup by doing this (admin privileges needed):

Start > Run > compmgmt.msc [ENTER]

Now choose Disk Management. Press Alt + Print Screen to do a screenshot and post it.

If it is one partition, YaST (the SUSE setup tool) should be able to resize it for you. If you have any unallocated free space on the drive though, you can simply install into that.

Cant you use bootpart to add Suse to your Boot.ini?

Quote:Cant you use bootpart to add Suse to your Boot.ini?

Wow, I didn't know about this :), only thing is; from Googling it looks like it only wants to play ball with LILO (GRUB is SUSE's default bootloader).

or you could boot from your suse cd, choose repair ,& re install grub. that should pick up both drives & give you a menu when you next boot

andy