Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.sh file help

Ok I have been in Korea for the last year and had to leave the Red hat box here in the states. I have forgotten how to do alot of stuff. Right now my current problem is finding out how to run/open a .sh file (boinc_5.2.13_i686-pc-linux-gnu.sh). It is for the Einstein@Home project. I am greatful for any help.

paveway

Nevermind I figured it out.

for others refererence

chmod +x file.sh

will make a file executable

then

sh file.sh

will run the script

cheers

anyweb

is there a way to start multiple programs in their own terminals that all start from the same sh file?

Also if that sh file uses inputs to get variables, can those variables carry over to the new terminals?

Quote:is there a way to start multiple programs in their own terminals that all start from the same sh file?
Yup - most people, when logging in, will all execute /etc/bashrc - a system-wide script that sets default profile settings.

The file itself is simply a program on disk. Many users can run that same program, creating several processes from the same code.

Quote:Also if that sh file uses inputs to get variables, can those variables carry over to the new terminals?
Not directly - there will need to be some intercommunication layer, such as a lock file that all processes write to and read from. However, using a file is an inefficient method. Most applications will pass control of sharing information to another layer that can cope with multiple read/write accesses, such as a database layer (mysql, postgres, etc). This is how most websites work - many users accessing one webpage creates multiple threads in memory, each accessing the same database.

Does that help at all?

okay - just re-read your original post.

Are you looking at starting multiple BOINC processes to run on your machine from one set of config files? If so, I do the same thing with folding@home.