Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kernel 2.6.15 + ATI Drivers = No worky

Well, after a fun bit of playing around this afternoon, I discovered that my newly compiled 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 kernel doesn't work with even the latest 8.21.7 FGLRX driver. This was an issue brought to head with the previous 8.20 driver release (at which point the 2.6.15 kernel was not yet final) and there have been a few "patches" but since they were not applied to the latest final driver release (8.21.7) I'm assuming there is a bit more to it than what the patch addresses.

Basically, the problem is this: On exiting X, the computer will hard-lock, or, if you are lucky like me, it will hard-lock halfway through your user login. So, after reverting to my previous ATI driver and it still did it, I rolled back to my previous kernel (2.6.14-gentoo-r5) and installed the new driver and everything works beautifully, so its obviously an issue between 2.6.15 and the ATI drivers.

A quick search on the rage3d forums linux section yields similar experiences to my own, when ATI officially addresses this issue, I will post an update.

-OVERKILL

Quote:Well, after a fun bit of playing around this afternoon, I discovered that my newly compiled 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 kernel doesn't work with even the latest 8.21.7 FGLRX driver. This was an issue brought to head with the previous 8.20 driver release (at which point the 2.6.15 kernel was not yet final) and there have been a few "patches" but since they were not applied to the latest final driver release (8.21.7) I'm assuming there is a bit more to it than what the patch addresses. 

Basically, the problem is this: On exiting X, the computer will hard-lock, or, if you are lucky like me, it will hard-lock halfway through your user login. So, after reverting to my previous ATI driver and it still did it, I rolled back to my previous kernel (2.6.14-gentoo-r5) and installed the new driver and everything works beautifully, so its obviously an issue between 2.6.15 and the ATI drivers.

A quick search on the rage3d forums linux section yields similar experiences to my own, when ATI officially addresses this issue, I will post an update.

-OVERKILL
No this isnt a problem with the kernel... I as well made the huge mistake of going with ati and not nvidia... ATI cant write a driver to save their lives. The open source driver will work whereas the fglrx one doesnt if you have need of the new kernel you can use the open source with no direct 3d support... Really gay if you ask me. I get asked all of the time why can't ATI write a nice universal driver or open the darned source so someone with knowledge can... I might go trade my ati card to the local computer shoppe for a downgraded nvidia card as I am sick of the driver issues with ATI...

-Issadle

Fully agree, it don't caused by kernel