Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remote administration
Hi i want to administer my Linux suse 10.0 remotely from another machine using SSH, ive heard about remote administration settings but i cant find them..im new to linux.. i also need to do some changes to the firewall i guess any one knows how to do this? // Richard

Quote:Hi i want to administer my Linux suse 10.0 remotely from another machine using SSH, ive heard about remote administration settings but i cant find them..im new to linux.. i also need to do some changes to the firewall i guess any one knows how to do this? // Richard

This is really easy to do. The SSH server is set up to run by default, all you need to do is open the firewall port to allow access. To do this (I'll use the universal method for both Gnome and KDE), open a console window and type su and then press enter and type your root password.

Now type yast2 & (include that '&'). Click Security & Users and then Firewall. On the left, choose Allowed Services. Under the Service to Allow box, choose SSH and click Add. Click Next then accept.

You should now be able to administer this box remotely. From another Linux system, go to a console and type ssh <<IP ADDRESS>> and then you will logon remotely. From Windows, you need to download a program called PuTTY from here.

Hope this helps.

Quote:Hi i want to administer my Linux suse 10.0 remotely from another machine using SSH, ive heard about remote administration settings but i cant find them..im new to linux.. i also need to do some changes to the firewall i guess any one knows how to do this? // Richard

SSH will give you console access, you can also use X Forwarding, which will tunnel X programs through SSH and output them on machine you are on (you will need to be running a local X).

Yeah poke a hole in the firewall.. port 22 is the common port for SSH.

make sure to checkout this area of the forums

for loads of info on ssh do's and don'ts and also X forwarding as znx mentions above

cheers

anyweb

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="7213" data-ipsquote-username="Aragon" data-cite="Aragon" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2019" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div> Hi i want to administer my Linux suse 10.0 remotely from another machine using SSH, ive heard about remote administration settings but i cant find them..im new to linux.. i also need to do some changes to the firewall i guess any one knows how to do this? // Richard

This is really easy to do. The SSH server is set up to run by default, all you need to do is open the firewall port to allow access. To do this (I'll use the universal method for both Gnome and KDE), open a console window and type su and then press enter and type your root password.

Now type yast2 & (include that '&'). Click Security & Users and then Firewall. On the left, choose Allowed Services. Under the Service to Allow box, choose SSH and click Add. Click Next then accept.

You should now be able to administer this box remotely. From another Linux system, go to a console and type ssh <<IP ADDRESS>> and then you will logon remotely. From Windows, you need to download a program called PuTTY from here.

Hope this helps.

</div></blockquote>

Thanx for the help..everything is working smooth now :)i enabled ssh in the firewall and i have one external firewall in my router where i have forwarded port 22 to a local ip in my network so everything is working fine now with remote administration / Richard