Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ndiswrapper install issuee

Im a newbie w/ Linux and i'm using SUSE 10 w/ GNOME as my desktop.

I installed ndiswrapper from YAST's software management. I was able to load up my XP broadcom driver w/ the ndiswrapper -i command.

i typed:

ndiswrapper -m (for the cfg)

depmod -a (i dunno what this does, just followed wiki instructions)

modprobe ndiswrapper ( dont know what this does either)

modprobe ndiswrapper returned the following error:

FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found

I am logged on as root also. ( just trying to give you as much background on the issus as possible)

> I work as a helpdesk guy at a company, so I know how useful background info. can be :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated in getting this wireless adapter working. This would be the first step to making me happy in Linux. This is my first try with it, and I must say its nice.

Which wiki did you follow? This one? Do you have the kernel sources installed? What kind of NIC are you trying to install? Maybe there are native Linux drivers...

Quote:depmod -a (i dunno what this does, just followed wiki instructions)
The kernels' capabilities can be extended by the use of modules as you might know. Some of the modules provide "services" that other modules rely on. For example the module 'yenta_socket', used to handle PCMCIA slots, requires 'pcmcia_core' to be loaded first. Now what 'depmod' does is calculating these dependencies in order to load required modules first. 

Quote:modprobe ndiswrapper ( dont know what this does either)
The 'modprobe' command is used to load (and thus enable) kernel modules. When using 'modprobe', required modules get loaded automatically.

So your error message implies that 'modprobe' is unable to find the kernel module you wanted it to load.

Quote:Which wiki did you follow? This one? Do you have the kernel sources installed? What kind of NIC are you trying to install? Maybe there are native Linux drivers... 

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2052" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>depmod -a (i dunno what this does, just followed wiki instructions)
The kernels' capabilities can be extended by the use of modules as you might know. Some of the modules provide "services" that other modules rely on. For example the module 'yenta_socket', used to handle PCMCIA slots, requires 'pcmcia_core' to be loaded first. Now what 'depmod' does is calculating these dependencies in order to load required modules first.

Quote:modprobe ndiswrapper ( dont know what this does either)
The 'modprobe' command is used to load (and thus enable) kernel modules. When using 'modprobe', required modules get loaded automatically. 

So your error message implies that 'modprobe' is unable to find the kernel module you wanted it to load.

</div></blockquote>

Yes, I had followed the wiki you linked from the Windows driver install on.

I have a Broadcom 1424 Wireless card.

Suse did not detect my card like it had with my regular ethernet NIC.

How do I know if I have my Kernel sources installed.

Quote:Yes, I had followed the wiki you linked from the Windows driver install on.
Maybe you should try using the source if the rpm doesn't work. 

Quote:I have a Broadcom 1424 Wireless card.
I was just checking the Broadcom website for your card but couldn't find anything, are you sure that this is the correct model? You might point me to the product...

Quote:How do I know if I have my Kernel sources installed.
Not 100% sure about the package name on SuSE, try 'rpm -q kernel-source' (maybe kernel-sources, kernel-sourcecode, kernel-devel or something). Just fire up YaST2 and search for "kernel" in the software selection, you should see the package there.

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2052" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yes, I had followed the wiki you linked from the Windows driver install on.

I was just checking the Broadcom website for your card but couldn't find anything, are you sure that this is the correct model? You might point me to the product.. 

Not 100% sure about the package name on SuSE, try 'rpm -q kernel-source' (maybe kernel-sources, kernel-sourcecode, kernel-devel or something). Just fire up YaST2 and search for "kernel" in the software selection, you should see the package there.

</div></blockquote>

Sorry after re-checking the hardware it is a dell mini pci 1450 with broadcom chipset.

After screwing up my linux install a few times in the first week i was finally able to get the ndiswrapper loaded.

It still did not turn my wifi LED on, or actually get it to work. Other folks had better luck with this according to the wiki supported card list attached to the ndiswrapper site.

-My boss at work loaned me a Cisco Aronet card and got it working great.

Yast detetcted and all I had to do was put in my essid, and WEP key.

I had found another site that had said to put ndiswrapper in the module field for the new interface you were adding. This was to be done after you got ndiswrapper all loaded with the drivers and modprobed.

Thanks for all the help.

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="7365" data-ipsquote-username="z0ny" data-cite="z0ny" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2052" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2052" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yes, I had followed the wiki you linked from the Windows driver install on.

I was just checking the Broadcom website for your card but couldn't find anything, are you sure that this is the correct model? You might point me to the product.. 

</div></blockquote>

Sorry after re-checking the hardware it is a dell mini pci 1450 with broadcom chipset.

After screwing up my linux install a few times in the first week i was finally able to get the ndiswrapper loaded.

It still did not turn my wifi LED on, or actually get it to work. Other folks had better luck with this according to the wiki supported card list attached to the ndiswrapper site.

-My boss at work loaned me a Cisco Aronet card and got it working great.

Yast detetcted and all I had to do was put in my essid, and WEP key.

I had found another site that had said to put ndiswrapper in the module field for the new interface you were adding. This was to be done after you got ndiswrapper all loaded with the drivers and modprobed.

Thanks for all the help.

</div></blockquote>