Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I Mount /dev/hdb1

I have a secondary hard drive hooked up to my computer with gentoo linux. I created a partition on it using fdisk and I have since then tried to mount /dev/hdb1 (secondary drive) To /srv (my folder for myy secondary hard drive)

Whenever I try and:

mount /dev/hdb1 /srv I get 'Mount: /dev/hdb1 already mounted or /srv busy

Whenever I try

mount /dev/hdb1 I get 'Mount: can't find /dev/hdb1 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab;

any help would be greatly appreciated

Are you sure it's not already mounted? :) Type 'mount' to check. Or maybe the mount point is really busy. ;) If you leave the mount point in the command mount looks in the mentioned files to check whether mount points and options have been defined there.

Quote:mount /dev/hdb1 /srv I get 'Mount: /dev/hdb1 already mounted or /srv busy

As z0ny suggested, check to ensure that /dev/hdb1 and /srv aren't already mounted somewhere, you can do this with:

Code:
fuser -c /dev/hdb1
fuser -c /srv

OR

Code:
mount | grep hdb1
mount | grep srv

If they return nothing, then you know that they are not mounted.

Make sure that you are not sitting in the directory with a shell/program as this can cause "busy" issues.

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="7386" data-ipsquote-username="Navrax" data-cite="Navrax" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2061" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>mount /dev/hdb1 /srv I get 'Mount: /dev/hdb1 already mounted or /srv busy

As z0ny suggested, check to ensure that /dev/hdb1 and /srv aren't already mounted somewhere, you can do this with:

Code:
fuser -c /dev/hdb1
fuser -c /srv

OR

Code:
mount | grep hdb1
mount | grep srv

If they return nothing, then you know that they are not mounted.

Make sure that you are not sitting in the directory with a shell/program as this can cause "busy" issues.

</div></blockquote>
It worked! I made a file in nano and before it wouldn't work so now im assuming I have another ten gigs of space on my computer :)

Thanks guys.