Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VMware Server

I'm now playing with the Linux version of VMware Server. I have successfully managed to install it and am starting to add some virtual machines, but I have a slight problem. Trying to connect the virtual machine to the network via bridged mode throws this error:

[Image: vmnet0.png]

Also, from the debugging output on a console window there is this error:

Code:
Vmdb error -37 sending asynchronous update in VmdbCnxRecvStatus
VmhsHostInfoPopulateHardwareNicCB Failed: No permission to perform this operation

I've searched Google and the VMware forums for the above error message but I haven't found anything helpful yet.

I've also tried running the VMware console as root, with no changes in error message (I've already chown'ed the /var/lib/vmware directory so I don't have to run as root)

If anyone could point me in the direction of some information, I would be grateful.

Haven't tried the server version yet but on the workstation it is necessary to run 'vmware-config.pl', did you do that? If you have no such script open a console, type "vmware" and hit the tab key two times. Maybe there is some equivalent... [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ph34r.png[/img]

Another option would be bugging FluKex in our IRC channel, he works for VMware. :)

I fired this thread to a friend of mine. I'll let you know if he knows of a simple fix.

For the VM in question that is having the issue.

1.) Open vmx file for said vm

2.) Stuff this in:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet"

3.) Save File

4.) Restart

Let me know if this helps

Quote:I fired this thread to a friend of mine. I'll let you know if he knows of a simple fix. 

For the VM in question that is having the issue.

1.) Open vmx file for said vm

2.) Stuff this in:

3.) Save File

4.) Restart

Let me know if this helps

Sorry, but it didn't work. :)

I'm trying this with a trial version (yes, the official 180-day trial from Microsoft) of Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition and added this line, but only got the same error message just about /dev/vmnet8.

Here is the whole VMX file:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/vmware
config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "4"
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.virtualDev = "lsilogic"
memsize = "384"
scsi0:0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0:0.fileName = "Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition.vmdk"
scsi0:0.writeThrough = "TRUE"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "/dev/hdc"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
floppy0.present = "TRUE"
floppy0.fileName = "/dev/fd0"
Ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
displayName = "Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition"
guestOS = "winnetenterprise"
autostart = "none"
priority.grabbed = "normal"
priority.ungrabbed = "normal"
powerType.powerOff = "hard"
powerType.powerOn = "hard"
powerType.suspend = "hard"
powerType.reset = "hard"

scsi0:0.redo = ""
ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
uuid.location = "56 4d 37 81 af 83 a3 cc-55 63 be c2 4d 03 92 8b"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 37 81 af 83 a3 cc-55 63 be c2 4d 03 92 8b"
ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:03:92:8b"
ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

usb.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.connectionType = "nat"
ethernet0.vnet = "/dev/vmnet0"

And the whole console output:

Code:
peter@blackholelinux:~> vmware &
[1] 10225
peter@blackholelinux:~> Using log file /tmp/vmware-peter/ui-10241.log
*** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice
Dlg::GetButtonInfo(): Duplicate GTK icon/label pair: _Stop and _Stop
Dlg::GetButtonInfo(): Duplicate GTK icon/label pair: _Forward and _Forward
Dlg::GetButtonInfo(): Duplicate GTK icon/label pair: _Information and Information
VmhsHostInfoPopulateHardwareNicCB Failed: No permission to perform this operation
(null): file ../../libview-0.5.6/libview/autoDrawer.c: line 226 (ViewAutoDrawerUpdate): assertion `grabbed' failed

Thanks for your help. :)

Ah, worked it out :) .

A kernel update from SUSE's YaST online update caused me to run the configuration Perl script again (the VMware Kernel Modules needed rebuilding), and I must have answered 'no' to do you want to network virtual machines. What I thought it meant was 'do you want to access the VMware console from a network', but I realise now.

:)

Thanks anyway.

Quote:Ah, worked it out :) . 

A kernel update from SUSE's YaST online update caused me to run the configuration Perl script again (the VMware Kernel Modules needed rebuilding), and I must have answered 'no' to do you want to network virtual machines. What I thought it meant was 'do you want to access the VMware console from a network', but I realise now.

:)

Thanks anyway.

Am I to understand that you just ran the vmware-config.pl script and re-selected the networking components?

I am getting the very same error message as above when I start vmware.

*** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice

Dlg::GetButtonInfo(): Duplicate GTK icon/label pair: _Stop and _Stop

Dlg::GetButtonInfo(): Duplicate GTK icon/label pair: _Forward and _Forward

Dlg::GetButtonInfo(): Duplicate GTK icon/label pair: _Information and Information

I have installed this version of VM Server on several systems, under SUSE 10, and this is the first time that I have had a problem. Also, the virtual system(s) seem fine. I am getting network connectivity etc.

My VM host is an install of VMware-server-e.x.p-22088.i386.rpm as an upgrade to VMware-server-e.x.p-20925.i386.rpm. I have also uninstalled VMware-server and repeated the install.

I suspect that you may have fixed the problem alright, but that the root cause is not as you described.

Any updates on your situation would be appreciated.

Quote:I have installed this version of VM Server on several systems, under SUSE 10, and this is the first time that I have had a problem. Also, the virtual system(s) seem fine. I am getting network connectivity etc.My VM host is an install of VMware-server-e.x.p-22088.i386.rpm as an upgrade to VMware-server-e.x.p-20925.i386.rpm. I have also uninstalled VMware-server and repeated the install.

I suspect that you may have fixed the problem alright, but that the root cause is not as you described.

Any updates on your situation would be appreciated.

I'm running 22088 fine at the moment with networking and everything, just starting to think about installing 20925 (I've downloaded it, but I've not got round to installing it yet).

What exactly is the problem that you have? You've said that you get the error message, but what stops working after that?