Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do I enable sound :(

:/ whenever I open an mp3 with xmms it doesn't work!!! I've already once enabled my sound, but I guess something went horribly wrong and now I get nothing :( -- Where should I start?

what distro are you running ?

what hardware have you got ?

have you tried alsamixer ? make sure nothing is 'muted' press 'm' to mute/unmute

also check the mp3 plugin is loaded in xmms

cheers

anyweb

Quote:what distro are you running ?what hardware have you got ?

have you tried alsamixer ? make sure nothing is 'muted' press 'm' to mute/unmute

cheers

anyweb

I'm running Gentoo, and I have a soundblaster, and when I try alsamixer I get alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device.

My output plugin is ALSA1.2.10 output plugin [libALSA.so] whenever I open an mp3 I get ' failed to open audio output: ALSA 1.2.10 output plugin' same with OSS driver

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="7602" data-ipsquote-username="anyweb" data-cite="anyweb" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2115" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>

cheers

anyweb

I'm running Gentoo, and I have a soundblaster, and when I try alsamixer I get alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device.

My output plugin is ALSA1.2.10 output plugin [libALSA.so] whenever I open an mp3 I get ' failed to open audio output: ALSA 1.2.10 output plugin' same with OSS driver

</div></blockquote>

Alright, xmms opens mp3's now, and plays them, the thing is I don't hear anything from my speakers. I maxed out EVERYTHING in alsamixer and I still get nothing :'(

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="7611" data-ipsquote-username="Navrax" data-cite="Navrax" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2115" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="7602" data-ipsquote-username="anyweb" data-cite="anyweb" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2115" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>

cheers

anyweb

</div></blockquote>

Alright, xmms opens mp3's now, and plays them, the thing is I don't hear anything from my speakers. I maxed out EVERYTHING in alsamixer and I still get nothing :'(

</div></blockquote>

PROBLEM SOLVED :) I just had to go into alsamixer and Unmute it :) There were little boxes all marked MM and all I had to do was check M for each one :)Thanks to Milligan.

oi !

that was one of the first things i said to you in my post !

Quote:have you tried alsamixer ? make sure nothing is 'muted' press 'm' to mute/unmute

glad you got it working though

cheers

anyweb

Just giving a little bit back, from all I have recieved ;)