Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing Linux Fedora
Well, I've download and burned the i386 version of Fedora Core 4 for one of my older computers. For some reason I can't get it to boot from the disc at startup. I know it is the computer for sure because I can get the disc to load the boot screen on another computer. I was just wondering if maybe someone had any ideas as to what might be wrong. I've went into the BIOS to make sure it loads from the CDROM but for some reason I don't think it even trys...Is there a Linux Boot Disk or something I could put on a floppy to just force it to try to read from the CDROM. I've actually put in the older win 98 boot disk and with CDROM support in and tried to get it to read the disk that way and... I don't know if you need to know anything that would better help you understand the situation I'll be more then willing to provide it. The computer has Pentium 4 1.8Ghz and 256MB FYI.
i had a problem with the x86_64 version with the discs not burning right i got them from another mirror and reburned them and installed without a problem

does this computer boot from ANY cd regardless of linux or not ?

you need to verify in the bios that the boot sequence is set to CD before hdd

cheers

anyweb

Well I don't really have another CD to test it with hmm would it work if I just burned the floppy files to it to make a Windows 98 Startup CD? =P Just to test it anyway... In my Bios I have set "CDROM" as the "First Boot Device", "A:" as second and "C:" as third and I'll actually try to diable the 2nd boot device now and see what that does and we'll see. Thanks =)

Ok, never mind I got it working. That was wierd though my other CDROM drive was messing with the main one, so I just unpluged it and it worked. Did'nt think it would though my only guess is that the jumpers were the same or... something. Anyway, Thanks for your advice got my brain jump started.

EIDT: Now when I go through the test it says that it "FAILD" though. Thats not good... I'm going to be busy today it seems.=)

if the cd fails the mdeia check the make sure to SHA1SUM the iso's before burning them

more details about that are here > [/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=735&hl=][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=735&hl=]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=735&hl=

cheers

anyweb

Ahh yes, thank you I got it runing now. I've messed around alittle bit on it and I think I'm going to really like it, I'm just mad I did'nt ever use linux back in the day just never wanted to jump in I guess. =)

it's never to late to learn !

join us on IRC too, EFNET server, join #linux-noob

cheers

anyweb