Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vnc Problem

I'll start ssh

Code:
/etc/init.d/sshd start

Then, from my winbox I'll start PuTTY, load my vnc settings ( The forwarded ports, etc) then I'll open and log into my box via ssh. Yay! BUT, when I open vncviewer on windows, and try and open localhost:1 it just hangs! Normally I would get dialogue to input a password to vnc! :(

note:

I use tightvnc. I do it through ssh.

For some idiotic reason I ended ssh with pkill. After that, I was having trouble starting it up.

Code:
/etc/init.d/sshd zap
/etc/init.d/sshd start
*Starting sshd...

The above code fixed it. But other than ending sshd with pkill I also pkilled Xvnc, which ended all the vnc stuff. That's where i'm confused.

Could that be why I can't vnc from my winbox? I could before! The only reason I can think of is that I pkilled it.

Any tips ? I can't vnc to my box I messed up! Gah!

Quote:I'll start ssh

Code:
/etc/init.d/sshd start

<div>

Then, from my winbox I'll start PuTTY, load my vnc settings ( The forwarded ports, etc) then I'll open and log into my box via ssh. Yay! BUT, when I open vncviewer on windows, and try and open localhost:1 it just hangs! Normally I would get dialogue to input a password to vnc! :(

note:

I use tightvnc. I do it through ssh.

For some idiotic reason I ended ssh with pkill. After that, I was having trouble starting it up.

Code:
/etc/init.d/sshd zap
/etc/init.d/sshd start
*Starting sshd...

The above code fixed it. But other than ending sshd with pkill I also pkilled Xvnc, which ended all the vnc stuff. That's where i'm confused.

Could that be why I can't vnc from my winbox? I could before! The only reason I can think of is that I pkilled it.

Any tips ? I can't vnc to my box I messed up! Gah!

</div>

Turns out all I had to do was ....

Code:
vncserver

Heh, works like a beaut!