Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wireless Access Points

Hey all,

Are there any good methods off protecting your wireless access points/traffic I know you can use

WEP but WEP is easily cracked.

I would like to know:

1) Keep Data private even when transmitting

2) Make sure no other devices can connect.

I know I can use MAC filtering as well I would like to know all the possiblitys.

Quote:1) Keep Data private even when transmitting

You have to ensure that all services chatter with SSL (pops, imaps, ftps, https, etc) if not then wrapped in a ssh tunnel.

Quote:2) Make sure no other devices can connect.

I would look a this from a different pov, assume that everything can connect and block all undesirable traffic beyond it. Authenticated proxy is a simple solution (not just an HTTP proxy!)

Quote:I know I can use MAC filtering as well I would like to know all the possiblitys.

WPA2 ?

here is the best way to really protect yourself.. and its also the easiest if you just have a router that can do wep/wpa

mac filtering is lame.. if they crack your wep they are gonna easily find out you have mac filtering and just wait for you to get online and clone your mac address..

disable the ssid broadcast and that will stop 99.99% of the people looking to steal wifi. along with changing your wep/wpa key like every week and you'll be fine

Thanks.

See with SSH I read somewhere but cant remember that you could tunnel ALL your Wireless traffic

is that possible?

What about using a VPN?