Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting rid of GRUB

Hi

I fully installed Ubuntu Breezy onto my computer as my Windows ME seemed to fail on me. I tried to work in Ubuntu but found it to difficult and I stumbled across the Recovery Disk and Master Disks to restore my system back to ME. I ran these disks and after the remastering has finished.. upon loading the hard drive.. i get GRUB trying to load up. I get about 2 minutes of "GRUB GRUB" running down my screen and then eventually "GRUB FAILED". Does anyone know how to get rid of the grub system. I have tried formatting my hard drive via the Restore disk and then ran the remastering but found the same problems.

At the moment I have a very nice empty box of a computer... please help me get back to the dreary Windows Millenium Edition days.

Bruce

seriously dont go back to ME just yet

tell us whats wrong with your ubuntu install so that we can help you fix it. or please consider another distro like fedora core release 5

it really won't leave you disappointed

as regards grub

try the following as root (boot from the ubuntu cd and choose linux rescue mode

Code:
# grub
grub> uninstall

cheers

anyweb

I have spent the last month trying to upgrade to XP but my computer just wont let me... i have tried XP home, Xp proffessional and MCE and they all give me stop out errors when i ride the CPU to a point or run the computer for about an hour. Converting to Linux was my last attempt before going back to ME. It seems my computer is set in to only run ME however I ran linux for a long time whilst running the CPU up and i didnt get any stop outs.

I was running Fedora Core 5 but i got errors when trying to install anything.. including opening the install program.. i did some googling and found some review of FC5 being poop and stated that error. I then moved to Ubuntu which seems rather familiar to Fedora.

My biggest problem is trying to get my wireless card to work... if i could get that to work i reckon i could manage it.. but i just cant get anyone to explain to me in complete english how to get it to run.

If you could be that one person to explain where i can get the right driver.. i would love you to peices.. just thinking of running ME again.

My network card is a Netgear WG311t. I have established that it has a Atheros chipset and beleive that madwifi is what i need to get... however there is nowhere that says in big letters "This is the file you need to download" !

Please help me.

I have lived in the Windows world for a long time... My experience of Linux previous to the last 4 days was a newspaper article.. which led me into trying it out after trying to run 4 or 5 different Windows versions.

Bruce

ok one step at a time.

the fact that you cant upgrade this computer to XP tells me there is something wrong here

either it's specs are crap or it has faulty hardware

please tell me exactly what hardware is on this box and is it a laptop or desktop

we are live on IRC 24/7 on the EFNET server, join us on #linux-noob where you'll surely get help with your linux woes (and what seems to be windows woes too)

cheers

anyweb

sorry how do i access that :S

thanks for your help :)

okay.. i cant seem to have the knowledge to use the IRC thing.. never heard of it before... any chance i could speak to u via IM.

If you can... add me at alive.in.an.ultra.world@googlemail.com

thanks

One easy solution for the non-linux user is to boot into DOS if you have your ME or Windows 98 disk, and type

Code:
fdisk /mbr

and it will wipe your grub (master boot record) clean. I ran into this same issue with Ubuntu and it set me back for almost 6 months. But, that little code fixed it right up.

Quote:One easy solution for the non-linux user is to boot into DOS if you have your ME or Windows 98 disk, and type
Code:
fdisk /mbr

<div>
and it will wipe your grub (master boot record) clean. I ran into this same issue with Ubuntu and it set me back for almost 6 months. But, that little code fixed it right up.

</div>

Equally using a WinXP cd.. going to the recovery console and typing:

Code:
fixmbr

Should remove grub.