Jump to content
Navrax

/dev/hdb1 already mounted or /bla busy

Recommended Posts

Allow me to start off by saying that I have tried everything in my knowledge.

Basically, I'm trying to mount my /dev/hdb1 secondary hard drive (that I thought was mounted from the beginning, which subsequently lead up to the filling up of my hda) but I have been unsuccessful in every attempt.

 

[u]mount /dev/hdb1 /blah[/u]
mount: /dev/hdb1 already mounted or /blah busy

I've booted the Gentoo Universal LiveCD, and succesfully mounted /dev/hdb1 to /anywhere and it showed up in # Mount. I think that this is a kernel problem, it's a working 10.0gb hd...

 

#mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0664,devgid=85)

 

# fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Disk /dev/hdb: 10.2 GB, 10245537792 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19852 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

  Device Boot	  Start		 End	  Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1			   1	   19852	10005376+  83  Linux

 

# fsck /dev/hdb
fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
/dev/hdb: clean, 11/1251712 files, 39293/2501352 blocks

 

I'll also add my /etc/fstab...

 

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/hda1			   /boot				   ext2			noauto,noatime		  1 2
/dev/hda3			   /					   ext3			noatime				 0 1
/dev/hdb1			   /srv10				  ext2			users				   0 0
/dev/hda2			   none					swap			sw					  0 0
/dev/dvd				/mnt/dvd				auto			defaults,noauto,ro	  0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0	  /mnt/cdrom			  iso9660		 noauto,ro			   0 0
#/dev/fd0			   /mnt/floppy	 auto			noauto				  0 0
/dev/sda1			   /mnt/jump-drive vfat			noauto,user,exec,sync	0 0
/dev/hdc4			   /mnt/zip		vfat			defaults,users,gid=users,umask=0000
# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
proc					/proc		   proc			defaults				0 0

 

 

PLEASE, SOMEONE, IF ANYBODY CAN HELP ME WITH MOUNTING MY HDB I WOULD GREAT APPRECIATE IT, I THOUGHT MY "/SRV" WAS MOUNTED TO /DEV/HDB1 AND IVE BEEN FILLING UP MY HDA!! IF ANYBODY WANTS MORE INFO, PLEASE REPLY, THIS HD WORKS, IT Must be something wrong with the kernel, or that dm-linear error, Please...Someone!!! :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick q.. is your shell sitting in /blah .. ?

 

If so you cannot mount it into the dir whilst you are there :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quick q.. is your shell sitting in /blah .. ?

 

If so you cannot mount it into the dir whilst you are there :)

Znx, You honestly think that could be the problem. No, no, and no. Is there ANyThING else? It's not even "mount /dev/hdb1 /blah" I try different names and create different new-non-busy directories....

run this command

 

fuser -m /dev/hdb1

 

That will list the PIDs of what is running on that partition

Yes, I have run "fuser -m /dev/hdb1" and I get nothing outputted back <_<

 

 

Anybody, i'm losing hope.

??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're using CentOS or Fedora ... I've researched and found the solution to this problem another way.

 

MY PROBLEM: I too had the second and third hard drive in my system completely unmountable. I could use fdisk and make partitions, and I also could mke2fs the filesystems on these partitions as well... so I know they were not damaged or "in use" as the OS claimed. Yet after creating the filesystems, I always got "device /dev/hdc busy" error messages.

 

I tried the fuser command as mentioned above, but it always came up with no results, meaning that on one was sitting on the filesystems preventing them from being mounted.

 

Well, it's documented here (centos mailing list describing symptoms and solution) and here (bug tracker at CentOS.org).

 

THE SOLUTION: Seems as if a software raid utility got upgraded or installed (yum update caused it for me) called dmraid that took exclusive control over these drives and partitions, not allowing them to be mounted from the command line.

 

The fix: Both posts give options, but what worked for me was to uninstall the DMRAID package:

 

rpm --erase dmraid

 

yum remove dmraid

(this is the one I used).

 

After a reboot (dmraid holds control of these devices until the next reboot, even if uninstalled that session) then I was able to mount and unmount each of my partitions.

 

Hope this helps!!

 

Regards,

 

zepcom

< a newbie to this board, but an expert in the linux field imho > B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...