Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
/dev/hdb1 already mounted or /bla busy

Allow me to start off by saying that I have tried everything in my knowledge.

Basically, I'm trying to mount my /dev/hdb1 secondary hard drive (that I thought was mounted from the beginning, which subsequently lead up to the filling up of my hda) but I have been unsuccessful in every attempt.

Code:
[u]mount /dev/hdb1 /blah[/u]
mount: /dev/hdb1 already mounted or /blah busy

I've booted the Gentoo Universal LiveCD, and succesfully mounted /dev/hdb1 to /anywhere and it showed up in # Mount. I think that this is a kernel problem, it's a working 10.0gb hd...

Code:
#mount
/dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,nosuid)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
shm on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,devmode=0664,devgid=85)

Code:
# fdisk -l /dev/hdb

Disk /dev/hdb: 10.2 GB, 10245537792 bytes
16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19852 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdb1               1       19852    10005376+  83  Linux

Code:
# fsck /dev/hdb
fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
/dev/hdb: clean, 11/1251712 files, 39293/2501352 blocks

I'll also add my /etc/fstab...

Code:
# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/hda1               /boot                   ext2            noauto,noatime          1 2
/dev/hda3               /                       ext3            noatime                 0 1
/dev/hdb1               /srv10                  ext2            users                   0 0
/dev/hda2               none                    swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/dvd                /mnt/dvd                auto            defaults,noauto,ro      0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom              iso9660         noauto,ro               0 0
#/dev/fd0               /mnt/floppy     auto            noauto                  0 0
/dev/sda1               /mnt/jump-drive vfat            noauto,user,exec,sync    0 0
/dev/hdc4               /mnt/zip        vfat            defaults,users,gid=users,umask=0000
# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
proc                    /proc           proc            defaults                0 0

PLEASE, SOMEONE, IF ANYBODY CAN HELP ME WITH MOUNTING MY HDB I WOULD GREAT APPRECIATE IT, I THOUGHT MY "/SRV" WAS MOUNTED TO /DEV/HDB1 AND IVE BEEN FILLING UP MY HDA!! IF ANYBODY WANTS MORE INFO, PLEASE REPLY, THIS HD WORKS, IT Must be something wrong with the kernel, or that dm-linear error, Please...Someone!!! :(

run this command

fuser -m /dev/hdb1

That will list the PIDs of what is running on that partition

Quick q.. is your shell sitting in /blah .. ?

If so you cannot mount it into the dir whilst you are there :)

Quote:Quick q.. is your shell sitting in /blah .. ? 

If so you cannot mount it into the dir whilst you are there :)
Znx, You honestly think that could be the problem. No, no, and no. Is there ANyThING else? It's not even "mount /dev/hdb1 /blah" I try different names and create different new-non-busy directories....

Quote:run this command 

fuser -m /dev/hdb1

That will list the PIDs of what is running on that partition
Yes, I have run "fuser -m /dev/hdb1" and I get nothing outputted back [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_dry.png[/img]

Anybody, i'm losing hope.

??

try

Code:
try using /dev/evms/hdb1 instead of /dev/hdb1

:)

more info (and faq) here > [/url][url=http://evms.sourceforge.net/faq.html]http://evms.sourceforge.net/faq.html

cheers

anyweb

If you're using CentOS or Fedora ... I've researched and found the solution to this problem another way.

MY PROBLEM: I too had the second and third hard drive in my system completely unmountable. I could use fdisk and make partitions, and I also could mke2fs the filesystems on these partitions as well... so I know they were not damaged or "in use" as the OS claimed. Yet after creating the filesystems, I always got "device /dev/hdc busy" error messages.

I tried the fuser command as mentioned above, but it always came up with no results, meaning that on one was sitting on the filesystems preventing them from being mounted.

Well, it's documented here (centos mailing list describing symptoms and solution) and here (bug tracker at CentOS.org).

THE SOLUTION: Seems as if a software raid utility got upgraded or installed (yum update caused it for me) called dmraid that took exclusive control over these drives and partitions, not allowing them to be mounted from the command line.

The fix: Both posts give options, but what worked for me was to uninstall the DMRAID package:

Code:
rpm --erase dmraid

Code:
yum remove dmraid

(this is the one I used).

After a reboot (dmraid holds control of these devices until the next reboot, even if uninstalled that session) then I was able to mount and unmount each of my partitions.

Hope this helps!!

Regards,

zepcom

< a newbie to this board, but an expert in the linux field imho > B)

try this

mount -t ext4 /dev/mapper/vg_www-lv_root /mp/backup/sdc2