Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting to a 128 bit WEP network on Fedora 5

Caution i am a super noob to all of this, so try to dumb down the talk for me. I installed Fedora 5 on my imac g4, Fedora does recognize the Airport card in eth1 and because i have my network WEP (128 bit) protected i put in the password 0xXXXXXX where im supposed to, i also have it set to automatically obtain the IP adress using dhcp, but it cant connect. Or is it firefox causing the problem? I have done a google search, i have gone through countless forums but i cant find much mac support. I can provide more info, because i know im not giving enough.Kinda defeats the purpose of having the linux system not being able to connect to the net!

Thanks! -macdudeosx

Looking at the network manager now, all im getting is a signal, but still no net or anything else, any ideas?

[Image: screenshot7jk.th.png]

first of all try without WEP

does that work ?

if not, it's not a WEP problem

can you ping google.com's IP address ? do you get a valid IP ? can you ping the wireless acess point ?

cheers

anyweb

Ok without WEP it works, but with WEP it dosent, is there something im missing? Does it need to be a 40 bit WEP or 128 bit WEP? I put the password in the password where it sayes key 0xXXXXXXX, is that right?

-macdudeosx

for hex make sure you are typing in the characters correctly

so for example if you key was

Code:
abcD5

the hexadecimal equivalent of that is

Code:

you can use the Character Map in windows (start/all programs/accesories/system tools/) to find out the values and i'm sure there is also a linux based converter but i'm not aware of one yet

cheers

anyweb