Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hello

Hi, My name's Dam, I'm from Newcastle, UK and I've just installed suse 10.1 on my PC

I've not used linux at all before so I'll proabbly have a lot of questions but I'll be happy to help others if I can

Cheers

Dam

welcome to the world of linux and to the forums Dam,

we are also on IRC, join the EFNET server and join #linux-noob

cheers

anyweb

Quote:welcome to the world of linux and to the forums Dam, 

cheers

anyweb

Ok, cheers, I'll try and get in the channel later on.

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="8538" data-ipsquote-username="anyweb" data-cite="anyweb" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2326" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>
welcome to the world of linux and to the forums Dam,

cheers

anyweb

Ok, cheers, I'll try and get in the channel later on.

</div></blockquote>

wats IRC?

Quote:wats IRC?

It's like Instant Messaging but on steriods. If you use Firefox, you can install Chatzilla (an extension) and then join an IRC server.

Check out IRCHelp.org for the best starter information. Also take a look at EFNet which is the network we use.

Just like you get AOL, MSN and Yahoo. You get lots of IRC server groups as well, EFNet, Freenode, DALNet, UnderNet, QuakeNet .. etc etc.

It is a great way to live chat to others for instant help.

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="8547" data-ipsquote-username="1ajs" data-cite="1ajs" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2326" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>wats IRC?

It's like Instant Messaging but on steriods. If you use Firefox, you can install Chatzilla (an extension) and then join an IRC server.

Check out IRCHelp.org for the best starter information. Also take a look at EFNet which is the network we use.

Just like you get AOL, MSN and Yahoo. You get lots of IRC server groups as well, EFNet, Freenode, DALNet, UnderNet, QuakeNet .. etc etc.

</div></blockquote>
and you install irc how? and use it how ???????????????? has gaim if it matters

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="8549" data-ipsquote-username="znx" data-cite="znx" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2326" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="8547" data-ipsquote-username="1ajs" data-cite="1ajs" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2326" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>wats IRC?

</div></blockquote>

</div></blockquote>

i don't think gaim has it, have't chekked...

but i find xchat to be very nice.

[/url][url=http://www.xchat.org/]http://www.xchat.org/

they don't seem to have a suse specific rpm....but in my very distant experience with rpm distros it didn't matter much which type of rpm packages i used.

but just in case you can't install or compile it.

i'd be glad to compile it for you.

providing you have an i686 cpu. not really in the mood to mess with my config files right now, lol.

i'm also new here btw, so hello fello noob. :-)

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="8565" data-ipsquote-username="1ajs" data-cite="1ajs" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2326" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="8549" data-ipsquote-username="znx" data-cite="znx" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2326" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="8547" data-ipsquote-username="1ajs" data-cite="1ajs" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2326" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>wats IRC?

</div></blockquote>

</div></blockquote>

i don't think gaim has it, have't chekked...

but i find xchat to be very nice.

[/url][url=http://www.xchat.org/]http://www.xchat.org/

they don't seem to have a suse specific rpm....but in my very distant experience with rpm distros it didn't matter much which type of rpm packages i used.

but just in case you can't install or compile it.

i'd be glad to compile it for you.

providing you have an i686 cpu. not really in the mood to mess with my config files right now, lol.

i'm also new here btw, so hello fello noob. :-)

</div></blockquote>
theres an irc option in gaim.... but i have no clue what i am supost to do

whats a rpm?

amd 2600+ cpu.... if thats means anything...

if it does, then i don't recommend using it. it sucks..:-) imho..

rpm is an install package format --- like ... .exe installers, and .msi files on wndows.

others include .. *.deb , *.package, *.gz .....

i can't help on the install path since i don'r know what distro you are using.

post your distro....

but i can help in compiling.

you could do something like...

cd /tmp

wget [/url][url=http://www.xchat.org/files/source/2.6/]http://www.xchat.org/files/source/2.6/

tar yxf .tar.bz2

cd xchat-2.6.4

./configure

make

sudo make install

the last command sudo ~ doesn't work... then login as root (su or login root)

then make install

providing there are no errors you will have an xchat system up and running.

for Suse all you need to do is this

Code:
yast --install xchat

and insert the CD that it asks for

cheers

anyweb