Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I need help...

I tried installing ndiswrapper-1.18 with Konsole (SUSE 10.0) and I get this:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

linux:/home/juergen/ndiswrapper-1.18 # make install

make -C driver install

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/juergen/ndiswrapper-1.18/driver'

Can't find kernel build files in /lib/modules/2.6.13-15-default/build;

give the path to kernel build directory with

KBUILD=<path> argument to make

make[1]: *** [prereq_check] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/juergen/ndiswrapper-1.18/driver'

make: *** [install] Error 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also when I try to install VMware I get the message that gcc and gcc+ not configured. Where can I install or download gcc and gcc+

Here is what it says:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

linux:/home/juergen # rpm -qa kernel* gcc* make

kernel-default-nongpl-2.6.13-15

kernel-update-tool-0.9-10

make-3.80-188

kernel-default-2.6.13-15

linux:/home/juergen #

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where can I get kernel-source, gcc, and gcc-c++ packages.

they should all be in the suse rpm repos.

just open yast. from the menus somewhere (i don't use suse)

or type yast or yast2 on in a konsole.

then in yast you need to find the install/remove option.

then search for the programs you require.

Quote:they should all be in the suse rpm repos. 

I finally got the installation part figured out but not the installing windows drivers with ndiswrapper. Also when I open up the VMware Player it will not let your create a virtual machine for some reason...

Quote:they should all be in the suse rpm repos. 

i might have mis-understood you, however...accordign to:

[ [/url][url=http://www.redmondmag.com/columns/article....itorialsID=1220]http://www.redmondmag.com/columns/article....itorialsID=1220 ]

the free vmware player, doesn't allow for creation(building) of virtual machine, you'll to get vmware workstation edition.

i can't confirm any of this as i do not have vmware*

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="8621" data-ipsquote-username="noriko" data-cite="noriko" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2339" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>
they should all be in the suse rpm repos.

i might have mis-understood you, however...accordign to:

[ [/url][url=http://www.redmondmag.com/columns/article....itorialsID=1220]http://www.redmondmag.com/columns/article....itorialsID=1220 ]

the free vmware player, doesn't allow for creation(building) of virtual machine, you'll to get vmware workstation edition.

i can't confirm any of this as i do not have vmware*

</div></blockquote>

Yes the VMware Player does not create I just found out. Sorry I'm new to this SuSE 10.0 stuff. I found another forum (I cannot find anymore) on how they installed their Linksys Wireless G WPC54GS netword driver via ndiswrapper. I followed it but it still does not work. Does anyone know a step by step instruction on how to configure a wireless Linksys with SuSE 10.0

VMware Player can't create virtual machines, but the free VMware Server can.

Quote:VMware Player can't create virtual machines, but the free VMware Server can.

Now I'm back to square 1 lol.... I typed "make" and it cam up with this

Can't find kernel build files in /lib/modules/2.6.13-15.10-default/build

Then I typed make install and it said this:

linux:/home/juergen/ndiswrapper-1.18 # make install

make -C driver install

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/juergen/ndiswrapper-1.18/driver'

Can't find kernel build files in /lib/modules/2.6.13-15.10-default/build;

give the path to kernel build directory with

KBUILD=<path> argument to make

make[1]: *** [prereq_check] Error 1

make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/juergen/ndiswrapper-1.18/driver'

make: *** [install] Error 2

The I type:

juergen@linux:~/ndiswrapper-1.18> rpm -qa kernel* gcc* make

gcc-java-4.0.2_20050901-3

kernel-default-2.6.13-15.10

gcc-info-4.0.2_20050901-3

gcc-c++-4.0.2_20050901-3

kernel-source-2.6.13-15

kernel-update-tool-0.9-10

make-3.80-188

kernel-default-nongpl-2.6.13-15.10

gcc-4.0.2_20050901-3

So if I don't figure it out I'm gonna have to put Windows back on lol.

well unfortunately, i myself cannot help you.. and no oen else has replied to this particular problem yet..

i will therefore respond; you don't need to switch back to windows, you can simply switch to another distro. i use archlinux [www.archlinux.org] and we have ndiswrapper here working perfectly. it's a little harder to setup, but there is underground [www.ludos.org] which is a preconfigured and fully featured clone. you may want t try that.

the main problem with desktop/new comer oriented distros is that they are too restrictive, and it can be a real pain in the ass when you want to compile something fro example.

i also heard ununtu [www.ubuntulinux.org] is pretty good.. i used it before but again, it's aimed at new comers and for desktop use.. and that's simply not for me..

yes, i know linux is painful, but trust me.,. you are only more likely to find windows obsolete once you get the hang of it.. i did..

There's no need to change distro just yet!

If you go to the YaST2 Software Management (find it in Control Centre or type yast2 sw_single & as root), you can install the kernel build files.

Do a search for kernel-source and choose to install it, inserting your CDs when prompted.

When this is done, try making again.

Quote:There's no need to change distro just yet! 

If you go to the YaST2 Software Management (find it in Control Centre or type yast2 sw_single & as root), you can install the kernel build files.

Do a search for kernel-source and choose to install it, inserting your CDs when prompted.

When this is done, try making again.

Yep hybrid's right, the error is for SUSE 10 not having the source installed. For some reason it's not a default in SUSE so you have to go into yast and install. Also ndiswrapper is an RPM package on the SUSE distro. You can go into yast and do a search for ndiswrapper and install it right off your CD/DVD in less than a minute. I tried using that program to get my wireless card working on my DELL D610. I ended up buying a cheap linksys pcmcia card. It worked great. If i remember correctly Yast Installed it on its own. You may have to just go into the Networking area though and install it.