Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hey all!!

Well, I'm getting fed up with all the hullabaloo with crappyM$ software, so I thought I'd make the switch to Linux. I download a copy of Knoppix 4.0 Live and was thoroughly impressed. Its been awhile since I've touched Linux or Unix (way back when 10" floppy disks were around), so I figured what the heck.

Not sure what OS I'll run when I'm up to speed (uBuntu or Fedoa Core), so I'll muck around a bit.

I'm currently downloading Knoppix 5.0 - simply becuase I want a HDD install on my IBM T22 notebook, that doesn't seem to like ANY DVD .ISOs of XP. Why on DVD - damn IBM BIOS updates are needed to boot from CDR in the DVD drive.

So one quicky question --> is there a IE version I can run on Knoppix, or should I just use Firefox with the IE Tab to download?

Oh yeah - is there a really great driver site for Linux that someone can refer me to ?? Just way too many threads here to search in depth. I specifically need a linux driver for my wireless 802.11b PCMCIA card - WiFIManager doesn't recognize the card and neither does cardmgr.

Help is much appreciated in my early start.

Thanks again,

w!nX

Quote:Oh yeah - is there a really great driver site for Linux that someone can refer me to ?? Just way too many threads here to search in depth. I specifically need a linux driver for my wireless 802.11b PCMCIA card - WiFIManager doesn't recognize the card and neither does cardmgr. 

Help is much appreciated in my early start.

Thanks again,

w!nX

welcome to the forums !

what wireless card is it ? if it isn't supported by linux then you can use windows drivers via something called ndiswrapper,

the wireless section of linux-noob.com covers ndiswrapper and more, and believe it or not you can even run IE (5 i think) using Crossover Office

cheers

anyweb

Welkome to the forums&Linux :)....

u'll love it here in tuxland - - - an dmight i recomend archlinux, www.archlinux.org - in favour of fedora .. well in favour of any other distro lol

thanks for the help. i forgot to check wikigoogle as well. just have to remember all my cmd line structures =P

will look for drivers and will post brand/model of the WLAN card soon if no success

*S*