Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IPB search

If you do a search on the forums and one or more things less than 4 characters long, IPB complains:

Quote:One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords.

With so many acronyms etc. that are less than 4 characters, this could result in irritation. Say if I want to find a topic on tunnelling X over SSH - I type in ssh x in the search box and it will reject the search. Not only is this a pain, but it's more likely to result in someone posting a new topic where they could search and find the answer.

I just wonder if you would consider lifting this restriction if it's at all possible, as I often find myself referring back to old topics using the search and I'm sure this would benefit newer LN members and reduce duplicate topic posting.

Just an idea... :)

Quote:I just wonder if you would consider lifting this restriction if it's at all possible, as I often find myself referring back to old topics using the search and I'm sure this would benefit newer LN members and reduce duplicate topic posting.

It does sound like an odd restriction, however the restriction is in a bid to protect the MySQL server behind the web frontend. MySQL has a lot of quirks as to how it handles searches and those restrictions are intentional to ensure that the system isn't abused.

I know its hard sometimes, there are a lot of acroymns and words that are far shorter but its just a restriction we need to work with, it might be possible to reduce the search length to 3 characters. More discussion needed with anyweb :)

(ps .. 4 char minimum is a builtin to mysql .. should have said that .. you need to rebuild from source to make it 3)

Quote:I know its hard sometimes, there are a lot of acroymns and words that are far shorter but its just a restriction we need to work with, it might be possible to reduce the search length to 3 characters. More discussion needed with anyweb :)

Oh, OK, it's not really a major problem I just wondered whether it might help. I suppose it does make sense now from a MySQL security standpoint.

It seems Google has enough of an index of LN that it might even be possible to use Google sitesearch:

[/url][url=http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ssh+x+site%3Alinux-noob.com]http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ssh+x+site%3Alinux-noob.com

That seems to come up with some stuff (though that's just an example, should work with most things).