Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WPC54G + Fedora Core 3

I'm sure that topics like this have been posted 100+ times... I've read a lot of posts about the situation and, honestly, I'm still confused. I'm a complete Linux noob... Like... completely lol. I am running Fedora Core 3 on my Compaq Presario 900 Laptop. Looks awesome and runs very well. The problem is that I cannot figure out how to install drivers for my Linksys WPC54G wireless network card. In the topics that I've read, they said some stuff about "ndiswrapper". I understand what it's supposed to do, I'm just unsure of how to use it lol. All the commands/file structures/etc... are still very new and foreign to me...

A person from another linux forum posted this...

Quote:the easiest way is to use a program known as ndiswrapper, this program allows you to use the windows drivers which came with your card in linux. ndiswrapper can be found on the cd/dvd you used to install your distro, you will also need to install the kernel-sources package and the wireless-tools package. Then in the command line do the following after copying the windows drivers to you home directory:Code:

Code:
su -
<enter root pass>
cd ~/drivers
ndiswrapper -i name_of_driver.inf
ndiswrapper -l <------- check to see if installed
ndiswrapper -m modprobe ndiswrapper <----------- save settings on reboot

<div>

now launch your distro's hardware/network config tool and enter ndiswrapper as the driver for the wireless card. Then configure it as normal i.e. add the essid, wep key, ip address etc.

</div>

The thing that's confusing to me is where do/how do I install this ndiswrapper program, where do I put the drivers for my wireless card, and anything else that a complete noob would need to know about this lol.

Thanks for your help/views in advance. I guess not knowing any of this is my punishment for using windows for 20 years =P

first of all fedora core 3 is end of life, aka, not supported, so please consider upgrading to fedora core release 5 which is current and supported,

then it's as easy as logging in as root

Code:
su -

then installing ndiswrapper using yum

Code:
yum -y install ndiswrapper

a lot more info on getting wireless to work with fedora can be found right here in the wireless section of linux-noob.com

cheers

anyweb