Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Debian to rebrand firefox

read here to find out more

[/url][url=http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=16009]http://www.osnews.com/comment.php?news_id=16009

Quote:Debian adheres to a strict interpretation of what is Free Software and what isn't. The Firefox logo is trademarked, so Debian doesn't consider it to be Free and will not include it as part of its distribution. Mozilla claims that using the Firefox name without the official branding is a trademark violation. Furthermore, Mozilla claims that if Debian runs any patches to the version of Firefox included with Debian distros, it has to run them by Mozilla first for approval. What all this ultimately could mean is that the Firefox name is wiped from the face of Debian and its offshoots. Debian developer Eric Dorland confirmed to internetnews.com that Debian will re-name Firefox and that the re-naming process could be completed as soon as next week.

lol

cheers

anyweb

Gah .. that timing really sucks. I'm sure that a lot of new users will be horribly disappointed at Firefox not being bundled in. Damn

Mozilla needs to fix that out now .. I can't believe they are being that backwards about something as trivial as a trademark.

Disappointing to say the least. Poor Debian getting stomped on for attempting to stand for true freedom :(

Quote:Gah .. that timing really sucks. I'm sure that a lot of new users will be horribly disappointed at Firefox not being bundled in. Damn 

Mozilla needs to fix that out now .. I can't believe they are being that backwards about something as trivial as a trademark.

Disappointing to say the least. Poor Debian getting stomped on for attempting to stand for true freedom :(

I guess this will affect Ubuntu too which is not good news, especially considering how many Linux newbies try Ubuntu (it is a very good distro for newbies, but this news can't exactly help it). :(

it will have no effect on ubuntu.. There are at least 8 distro's built off debian that this won't effect unless the ubuntu packagers feel the same way as debian
Firefox is named Iceweasel in Debian and the only thing that differs is the name. You can even install official firefox plugins. I were worried to start with, but so far I've got no complaints.
Yes, it was basically just a name change. Iceweasel works great with great with Firefox add-ons :)