Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
xkill in terminal

Hey, I've used KDE for about three days and already tried experimenting to get used to it, as i've been a hopeless Windows user for my entire life... Shocking, I know :P

Now, anyway, my Firefox browser (like there is any other) crashed and I couldn't figure out how to kill it, so I used the "xkill" command, which worked great! However... I had Firefox minimized and thus clicked on the bottom "start-bar line" to remove it. Suddenly I was sitting there with only icons on my desktop and no startline! Firefox still running... well, sort of... ^^,

I got it back by restarting, but is there a way to "load" it again on the fly using the terminal?

Help will be very much appreciated!

On pre-hand; Thanks! (Not even sure pre-hand is a word... o.O)

hi and welcome to the forums !

you can try restarting X which will restart KDE but not the computer

press CTRL_ALT and BACKSPACE together

cheers

anyweb

Quote:hi and welcome to the forums ! 

you can try restarting X which will restart KDE but not the computer

press CTRL_ALT and BACKSPACE together

cheers

anyweb
Thanks, anyweb. I'll keep bothering you if more problems appear ;) ;)

Worked great, thank you! Althought, it requires me to login. I can still live with that. ;) *Bows*

I'll still appreciate it if anyone knows a command I can run to load the bottom start-bar, without having to log in again, very much like you can use "run explorer" in the "Ctrl-Alt-Delete" window (Already forgot what that window is called :)) to "reload" the windows graphical interface. :)

This in theory will do as you say (this will kill the current taskbar & panels and reload them).

Press Alt-F2 to bring up Run Command, and enter:

Code:
killall kicker;sleep 1s;kicker &

and that should restart everything.

Quote:This in theory will do as you say (this will kill the current taskbar & panels and reload them). 

Press Alt-F2 to bring up Run Command, and enter:

Code:
killall kicker;sleep 1s;kicker &

<div>

and that should restart everything.

</div>
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but wouldn't the "sleep" command restart the computer itself?

nope

the sleep command simply WAITS for X number of seconds

eg:

sleep 3s;

waits around doing nothing for 3 seconds.

cheers

anyweb

Quote:Forgive my lack of knowledge, but wouldn't the "sleep" command restart the computer itself?

Just further to what anyweb said, the reason I put sleep in there was because without it sometimes it doesn't work as the panels haven't finished closing yet. So we close the panels, wait a second for everything to clear up, then reload them.