Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help FC is not reading/detecting 2nd hard drive

Ok first things first, I REALLY wanted to learn linux that's why I installed it but now I am having doubts. My yum doesn't work properly my sound doesn't work, and I can't network my cpu correctly with my roommates so I'm giving up. All I want to do now is just get my mp3's back onto my windows XP sp2 hard drive, but apparently it's impossible to do. I tried going through windows and accessing the hard drive but then my linux hard drive wasn't being read. I installed magic partition program on my XP drive and then the linux drive finally showed up but I couldnt access any folders inside. So now I'm trying the reverse going through my FC5 drive to access my XP drive and transfer the files over. However, I'm stuck I don't know where to go or what commands to use to access my XP drive, I don't even think it's being detected by the OS (in BIOS however it IS being read). I don't know if I have to mount it or not or anything like that, so I didn't try Dan's newbie tutorial guide on mounting NTFS drives. I don't want to do something that permanently screws me over, so I'm asking here first. I typed fdisk -l in my su directory and it showed up as this:

Disk /dev/hda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/hda1 * 1 13 104391 83 Linux

/dev/hda2 14 14593 117113850 8e Linux LVM

Disk /dev/hdb: -955586550 MB, 72058857482354688 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, -1 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk /dev/hdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

I have no idea what that means can someone please help so this noob can go back to XP and leave this linux world. I REALLY need step by step process because I am utterly lost. Thanks in advance, sorry for being the super noob of all noobs........

before you move back to XP how about we try and help you resolve your sound issues first ?

you can talk to us 24/7 live on IRC via the EFNET server just join #linux-noob

or post the problems here,

I'd rather not advise you how to 'write files' to an ntfs partition, unless of course you don't care about the data there at all and are willing to lose it all,

READING from ntfs partitions is AOK and no problemo

cheers

anyweb