Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't make

Just Installed Ubuntu 6.06LTS, from a downloaded ISO. was connected to the net during install and all looks good, I have used "Synaptic package manager" to add some bizzo and ticked all the repository boxes so I could get Aircrack and Kismet instaled. That much was surprisingly easy for someone who has only ever installed fedora and red hat, but never been able to do much with them, however Ubuntu has my interest and I want to do more.

I intend to do some security checking of Wlans, my own first, I am told these two apps (Aircrack and Kismet) can crack a wpa-psk in under an hour. I have downloaded the Atheros drivers for the Cisco-CB21AG pcmcia card I intend to use but am a bit stumped as to how to get them into the notebook (IBM thinkpad R52). Following the newbie guide at aircrack-ng. I would get an error message in the terminal telling me that "make" was an unknown command, so I went back into synaptic and found "make", "makedev" and "makedepend". I installed these and now make tries to run but gives me...

tsp10402@SN-GHG:~/Desktop/madwifi-0.9.2$ make

/bin/sh: line 0: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.15-27-386/build: No such file or directoryMakefile.inc:89: *** /lib/modules/2.6.15-27-386/build is missing, please set KERNELPATH. Stop.

tsp10402@SN-GHG:~/Desktop/madwifi-0.9.2$

I assume I am missing some of the kernel files but don't know what they are or how to get them installed.

Thanks for any assistance.

G.

Quote:Just Installed Ubuntu 6.06LTS, from a downloaded ISO. was connected to the net during install and all looks good, I have used "Synaptic package manager" to add some bizzo and ticked all the repository boxes so I could get Aircrack and Kismet instaled. That much was surprisingly easy for someone who has only ever installed fedora and red hat, but never been able to do much with them, however Ubuntu has my interest and I want to do more. I intend to do some security checking of Wlans, my own first, I am told these two apps (Aircrack and Kismet) can crack a wpa-psk in under an hour. I have downloaded the Atheros drivers for the Cisco-CB21AG pcmcia card I intend to use but am a bit stumped as to how to get them into the notebook (IBM thinkpad R52). Following the newbie guide at aircrack-ng. I would get an error message in the terminal telling me that "make" was an unknown command, so I went back into synaptic and found "make", "makedev" and "makedepend". I installed these and now make tries to run but gives me...

tsp10402@SN-GHG:~/Desktop/madwifi-0.9.2$ make

/bin/sh: line 0: cd: /lib/modules/2.6.15-27-386/build: No such file or directoryMakefile.inc:89: *** /lib/modules/2.6.15-27-386/build is missing, please set KERNELPATH. Stop.

tsp10402@SN-GHG:~/Desktop/madwifi-0.9.2$

I assume I am missing some of the kernel files but don't know what they are or how to get them installed.

Thanks for any assistance.

G.

Did you try and run ./configure before trying to run make?

there is no configure script with madwifi

you need to install the kernel source in /usr/src for the version of the kernel you are running

I'm having trouble with this too.

I enter the command

make KERNELPATH=/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-25/

but the response i get is

Checking if all requirements are met... FAILED

Please enable wireless extensions.

make: *** [configcheck] Error 1

any ideas?

thanks

Quote:I'm having trouble with this too. 

I enter the command

make KERNELPATH=/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-25/

but the response i get is

Checking if all requirements are met... FAILED

Please enable wireless extensions.

make: *** [configcheck] Error 1

any ideas?

thanks
Ok, well I managed to sort out that problem by enabling it in the ./configure file in the linux-headers directory, but now i get this error when i perform the make

make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-26'

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-26/Module.symvers

is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

CC [M] /usr/src/madwifi-cvs-20051025/ath_hal/ah_osdep.o

/bin/sh: scripts/genksyms/genksyms: No such file or directory

make[3]: *** [/usr/src/madwifi-cvs-20051025/ath_hal/ah_osdep.o] Error 1

make[2]: *** [_module_/usr/src/madwifi-cvs-20051025/ath_hal] Error 2

make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-26'

make[1]: *** [all] Error 2

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/madwifi-cvs-20051025/ath_hal'

make: *** [all] Error 1

I can't find any help at the madwifi site

thanks

czk

Quote:KERNELPATH=/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.15-25/

That is the kernel headers, not the kernel itself, hence its missing what it needs still. Something like:

Code:
apt-get install kernel-source

Should make it download and install the source of the running kernel. Then you will have a directory like:

Code:
/usr/src/linux-2.6.15-27-386

Thats where the source will be.

I ran apt-get install kernel source, and i've also run apt-get install linux-source aswell, but i dont get a directory in /usr/src for either after they've installed, just the tarball fo each.

root@czk-laptop:/usr/src# ls

kernel-source-2.4.27.tar.bz2 madwifi-cvs-20051025

linux-headers-2.6.15-26 madwifi-cvs-20051025.patch

linux-source-2.6.15.tar.bz2 madwifi-cvs-20051025.tgz

root@czk-laptop:/usr/src#

could the source have installed itself to directory somewhere else?

thanks

Quote:
Code:
root@czk-laptop:/usr/src# ls
kernel-source-2.4.27.tar.bz2  madwifi-cvs-20051025
linux-headers-2.6.15-26       madwifi-cvs-20051025.patch
linux-source-2.6.15.tar.bz2   madwifi-cvs-20051025.tgz

<div>

</div>

Ah interesting, I thought it would have unpacked the source. What you want to do now is this:

Code:
tar -xzf kernel-source-2.4.27.tar.bz2

That should extract the archive to a folder called: /usr/src/linux-2.4.27 or maybe just /usr/src/linux this is the normal place for the kernel source to sit. That should then work, however you might (I'm not sure what madwifi requires) need to build the kernel (you won't need to install it just build the source). If so go into the /usr/src/linux (or whatever) and type make in there to begin the process.

I hope that does what you need.