Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XGL in windows?
I've fallen in love with the XGL Interface in Linux, but is there anything comparable for Windows XP? I would love something that could at lease mimic the wobbly windows and otherwise. I'm not so concerned with Aero Glass since I don't have the proper graphics card, but XGL runs great on here. Is there possibly a skin I could use?

Quote:I've fallen in love with the XGL Interface in Linux, but is there anything comparable for Windows XP? I would love something that could at lease mimic the wobbly windows and otherwise. I'm not so concerned with Aero Glass since I don't have the proper graphics card, but XGL runs great on here. Is there possibly a skin I could use?

I'm very doubtful you'd get anything even close to Linux eye candy on Windows (barring Vista Aero, which I could argue isn't as nice, but we'll save that for another day).

Due to the way Windows is, even if you hacked system files to install non-Microsoft XP themes, you wouldn't get the wobbly window and transparency. Certainly nothing I know of would do that anyway.

Windowblinds and WindowFX, both from Stardock, can almost create this effect, you expressed interest in the "wobbly windows" which WindowFX can provide, and the aero theme (with transparency) can be achieved with the Windowblinds. I'm using a theme that is the closest thing to vista I've seen yet, but sadly, M$ requested the maker discontinue distribution (its that close to the real thing) but drop me an email and I'd be glad to send it to you. I also use a program called Topdesk, which gives the "Flip3-D" effect from Vista, between the 3 programs, you can have a "visually indistuingishable vista". Screenshot