Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why did acpi=ht fix my network problem?

Hello,

I ran a search for acpi=ht, but didn't get any hits on the forums. I'm hoping someone can help me solve a mystery.

I was having trouble reaching the network with FC4. I had already configured other machines just fine, so I was stumped. On booting up the eth0 would get an IP address just fine, and in the network configuration screen the eth0 was active. I went over the configuration again and again, but neither Firefox nor the update program could connect.

Then, using a suggestion from forums.fedoraforum.org/archive, I changed my grub config from this

title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)

root (hd0,1)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet

initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img

title Windows XP

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

to this

title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4)

root (hd0,1)

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 acpi=ht

initrd /initrd-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4.img

title Windows XP

rootnoverify (hd0,0)

chainloader +1

Now I can connect just fine. Great. Trouble is I don't know why. The other forum doesn't explain what acpi=ht is or how it fixed the problem. Can someone here help?

Thanks a lot,

Nic

hi,

Using acpi=ht on a CPU that is not hyperthreading is equivalent to using acpi=off

so you are effectively disabling ACPI via the kernel switch

cheers

anyweb

Quote:hi, 

Using acpi=ht on a CPU that is not hyperthreading is equivalent to using acpi=off

so you are effectively disabling ACPI via the kernel switch

cheers

anyweb

Thanks for the reply. I switched to acpi=off apc=on and it everything works fine.

Thing is, the network card (and other PCI devices) worked fine with XP on the same machine (see grub config above). And FC4 ran the network card fine on a different machine with acpi on by default. So, where's the problem--in the mainboard or in FC4? I admit I don't know a lot about advanced power controls.

Thanks!

could be how the kernel supports your chipset,

as you are now using an unsupported operating system (FC4) you should definetly consider upgrading to FCR6,

it's supported and much nicer as well, and will use an up to date kernel so hopefully your past issues should be 'past issues'

cheers

anyweb