Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how do i get firefox to play videos via mplayer plugin

hi guys,

i'd like my media to play in mplayer instead of totem.

when i click on some (usually mms or windows video links) totem starts and then complains that it can't play the file.

if i run the file via cli (the terminal) as below, then it works fine in mplayer

Quote:[anyweb@localhost ~]$ mplayer mms://a1441.v165327.c16532.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1441/16532/v0001/nhl.download.akamai.com/16532/wm.nhl.na-central/comp/best_of/07/bestof_theweek_vol_7_700.wmvMPlayer 1.0rc1-rpm.livna.org-4.1.1 © 2000-2006 MPlayer Team

CPU: Intel® Pentium® M processor 1400MHz (Family: 6, Model: 9, Stepping: 5)

CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 0 3DNow2: 0 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1

Compiled with runtime CPU detection.

mplayer: could not connect to socket

mplayer: No such file or directory

Failed to open LIRC support. You will not be able to use your remote control.

Playing mms://a1441.v165327.c16532.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1441/16532/v0001/nhl.download.akamai.com/16532/wm.nhl.na-central/comp/best_of/07/bestof_theweek_vol_7_700.wmv.

so my question is, how can I force firefox to use mplayer instead of totem for these files ?

cheers

anyweb

Well, I don't know how to add it to mplayer-plugin but it's easy enough to setup firefox to magically open mplayer when it sees that protocol.

<ol style="list-style-type:decimal;">[*]Open about:config

[*]In the filter field type network.protocol-handler

[*]Right click and select New > String if you don't see network.protocol-handler.app.mms. Once you have the entry setup the path to be the full path to mplayer (something like /usr/bin/mplayer).

[*]Right click and select New > Boolean if you don't see network.protocol-handler.external.mms. Set that entry to be true.

[*]Restart firefox.

[*]Type in the stream URL into the address bar, firefox will indicate that you are opening an external program, check the box and click on launch.

</ol>That's it, now when encountered firefox will open mplayer for all the mms:// protocols. You can use a similar method to have firefox open lots of different applications for various different protocols (say mailto: opening your preferred mail client, etc).

Or , if you want Multimedia Player (MPlayer) with Plug-in for Mozilla Firefox yum -y install mplayerplug-in

johnny06

i have the mplayer plugin loaded already as per the fedora core release 6 goodies post,

however firefox still defaults to playing certain videos in totem, i'll try what znx suggested later and post the results here

cheers

anyweb

Quote:Or , if you want Multimedia Player (MPlayer) with Plug-in for Mozilla Firefox

Sorry to say but the mplayer plugin doesn't add support for the mms:// protocol.

well what (if anything) does add support for it ?

I tried the suggestions above (editing about:config) and while it plays the original link that i did via cmd line before, now when i click on a video link in bbc's newsite., i get another totem error

why ?

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_12_2006/post-1-1166380544.png" data-fileid="737">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_12_2006/post-1-1166380544.png[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_12_2006/post-1-1166380549.png" data-fileid="738">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_12_2006/post-1-1166380549.png[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot.png (Size: 134.48 KB / Downloads: 0)
.png   Screenshot_1.png (Size: 178.97 KB / Downloads: 0)

Hrmm, well I guess that Gnome is somehow overriding the default within firefox :(

Try this:

Code:
$ gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/mms/command "/usr/bin/mplayer %s"

This adds support for the protocol at the Gnome level, rather than the firefox level.

ok fixed it by doing this

(as root)

Code:
[root@localhost ~]# yum -y remove totem
Loading "installonlyn" plugin
Setting up Remove Process
Resolving Dependencies
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package totem.i386 0:2.16.3-1.fc6 set to be erased
--> Running transaction check
Setting up repositories
Reading repository metadata in from local files
--> Processing Dependency: libtotem-plparser.so.1 for package: totem-mozplugin
--> Processing Dependency: libtotem-plparser.so.1 for package: rhythmbox
--> Restarting Dependency Resolution with new changes.
--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package rhythmbox.i386 0:0.9.5-7.fc6 set to be erased
---> Package totem-mozplugin.i386 0:2.16.3-1.fc6 set to be erased
--> Running transaction check

Dependencies Resolved

=============================================================================
Package                 Arch       Version          Repository        Size
Removing:
totem                   i386       2.16.3-1.fc6     installed         4.9 M
Removing for dependencies:
rhythmbox               i386       0.9.5-7.fc6      installed         6.4 M
totem-mozplugin         i386       2.16.3-1.fc6     installed         275 k

Transaction Summary
Install      0 Package(s)        
Update       0 Package(s)        
Remove       3 Package(s)        

Downloading Packages:
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
Removing  : totem                        ######################### [1/3]
Removing  : rhythmbox                    ######################### [2/3]
Removing  : totem-mozplugin              ######################### [3/3]

Removed: totem.i386 0:2.16.3-1.fc6
Dependency Removed: rhythmbox.i386 0:0.9.5-7.fc6 totem-mozplugin.i386 0:2.16.3-1.fc6
Complete!

in the screenshot below the black box is actually video from bbc news's website, for some reason taking a screenshot of it doesnt show the 'video'

but it works now so thanks all

cheers

anyweb

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_12_2006/post-1-1166381900.png" data-fileid="739">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_12_2006/post-1-1166381900.png[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot_2.png (Size: 192.51 KB / Downloads: 0)

Quote:Well, I don't know how to add it to mplayer-plugin but it's easy enough to setup firefox to magically open mplayer when it sees that protocol.<ol style="list-style-type:decimal;">[*]Open about:config

[*]In the filter field type network.protocol-handler

[*]Right click and select New > String if you don't see network.protocol-handler.app.mms. Once you have the entry setup the path to be the full path to mplayer (something like /usr/bin/mplayer).

[*]Right click and select New > Boolean if you don't see network.protocol-handler.external.mms. Set that entry to be true.

[*]Restart firefox.

[*]Type in the stream URL into the address bar, firefox will indicate that you are opening an external program, check the box and click on launch.

</ol>That's it, now when encountered firefox will open mplayer for all the mms:// protocols. You can use a similar method to have firefox open lots of different applications for various different protocols (say mailto: opening your preferred mail client, etc).

Hello,

This setup doesn't work for me...

Click on the icon of a video file

-> Open: x.wmv from www.y.com

File of type: video Microsoft ASF

Open with: Totem (default)... no other choice

TIa for any further suggestion

DanBE

Linux/Mandriva 2006/KDE/Firefox

Quote:This setup doesn't work for me...

Well see the protocol handler's are for streaming data therefore it expects something like: mms://some/url/here/file.wmv

Most likely you have a: [/url]http://some/url/here/file.wmv

So what I will suggest you try installing the mplayer plugin for firefox (and removing totem!).

to add the mplayer plugin see this post (scroll down to point 4.) [url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2533][/url][url=<___base_url___>/index.php?showtopic=2533]https://www.linux-noob.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2533