Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resolution Question
I just had Suse Linux 10.0 installed on my Computer by CompUsa. They installed the Linux Operating System using their 15" monitor I'm guessing. I have a 19" monitor, so when I got home I plugged in my monitor and the highest resolution I can go to is 1024x768 which is crap. How do I fix the OS so I can go up to 1600x1200(which my monitor CAN handle)? Another question:I have Windows x64 installed on a raid 1 setup and linux installed on a separate 80g Hd, does linux have a program equal to window's device manager? I want to see where it says what video cards I have, cause I have dual 6800 Ultras in Sli, I'd also like to check the monitor and maybe install a monitor driver.

you'll have to use YaST or SaX2 to adjust the resolution, firstly you'll have to change your monitor type from whatever compusa set it to to whatever is nearest to the monitor you have,

next once the monitor is correctly setup you can adjust the resolution

linux is not windows so there is no device manager, (click on that link to read why linux is not windows, and perhaps to get a better understanding of it)

good luck

cheers

anyweb

Quote:you'll have to use YaST or SaX2 to adjust the resolution, firstly you'll have to change your monitor type from whatever compusa set it to to whatever is nearest to the monitor you have, 

next once the monitor is correctly setup you can adjust the resolution

linux is not windows so there is no device manager, (click on that link to read why linux is not windows, and perhaps to get a better understanding of it)

good luck

cheers

anyweb

Alright thanks for the help. I found out from trying to play a 3d acceleration game that the nvidia drivers are not installed(Damn CompUsa). So that is probably the problem, now I have to figure out just how to install them.

have a look at this post

cheers

anyweb

Quote:have a look at this post  

cheers

anyweb

Ok, I finally got the Nvidia Drivers installed after messing with Yast. But when I go into Sax2 I cannot enable 3d acceleration.

Specs for my Computer:

ASUS A8N32-SLI DELUXE

AMD Athlon X2 4600+

1 GB GiLL PC3200

2x WD Raptor 35GB 10000rpm in Sata Raid 1

60GB Maxtor (I have Suse Linux 10.0 installed on this one)

2x BFG 6800 Ultras PCI-E in (Sli mode only in windows x64 so far)

Sound Blaster Audigy 4

19" Envision Monitor

Note: I installed the 64-bit version of Suse Linux 10.0

well if you have no 3d acceleration then you must not have installed the nvidia drivers correctly

can you paste the contents of your xorg.conf file here please, it's in /etc/X11/xorg.conf

cheers

anyweb