Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mail server - setup virtual mail boxes

Hi folks,

AMD Athlon54 X2 512Kx2 socket AM2 3800

slamd64-11.0

Just completed installing the captioned OS with everything installed except GAME. This is an experiment. slamd64 is now running on the box.

I'm going to setup virtual mail boxes on this server, allowing my friends using the mail server sending and receiving mails. Please advise;

1) how to check whether sendmail is running and configured properly.

2) how to setup virtual mail boxes. Where can I find relevant tutorial.

TIA

B.R.

satimis

Quote:1) how to check whether sendmail is running and configured properly.2) how to setup virtual mail boxes. Where can I find relevant tutorial.

First and most importantly, don't use sendmail. Sendmail is ancient and a nightmare to configure (even at the best of times). I would suggest Postfix which is a far more modern replacement and it has a lot of indept documentation. Including one about virtual mailboxes yay :)

Hi znx,

Tks for your advice which I agree. I found many doc for postfix but a few for Sendmail.

This is a test on slamd64-11.0, not for production. Sendmail is the default MTA of slamd64-11.0 therefore I use it. It is now running without problem. Mails can be sent and received by Sendmail.

Tks again for your URL

B.R.

satimis

znx is, as usual, correct here. Remove sendmail from the box and install postfix.

As a long time sendmail user converted to postfix, I can tell you that you are much better off with postfix and your configuration will be much less of a headache.

P38