Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fedora Core 6on a Compaq Presario V6000

Greetings,

Due to popular demand, i.e. anyweb, I'm writing this guide to help those who are having issues installing Linux on any system with the nVidia GeForce 6150 chipset (North Bridge), and the nForce 420 MP (South Bridge) chipset, in my case, the Compaq Presario V6000 laptop. In my case here, I'm installing Fedora Core 6, which is why I've posted here.

For those of you, like me, who have tried many times in the past to install a Linux distro on such a system, will have come across an issue where-by the system locks up after booting up all the system's services. This is due to the Ethernet drivers. The actual chipset its self, nVidia reports, is not at fault, but instead the drivers are.

So, how do you get around this little announace? It's actually rather simple... remove any network cables you have plugged into any NICs in your system, then boot up. Basically, what's happening is the OS is trying to obtain an IP from any DHCP servers that pick up, i.e. your router, and this for some reason causes the system to lock up.

Once you've booted up and logged in, you'll need to obtain an IP - it's also now safe to plug in your network cable, which you should do now - bring up a terminal and 'su' you to root and type "/sbin/dhclient eth0", this will get you an IP from your DHCP server/router and you should be all up and running.

At this stage, I'd suggest running over to nVidia and downloading the graphic card drivers and other drivers for your system.

I hope this helps someone out there as I was pulling my hair out over this for days.

Regards,

moveax @ EFnet, #linux-noob

could you be a little more verbose and explain further exactly what needs to be done - especially in the part about the downloading specific graphic card and other drivers for the v6000 system. I went and looked, but it got quite confusing for this noob.

hi there

how you doing?!

ive got a v6002au model and mine freezes up in the middle of installing linux, i think its the graphics issue as sometimes the graphics on the computer goes all crazy in the middle of installing linux and freezes up,

i dunno what to do,

any idea?

p.s: network cable is not pluged in and linux is not installeddd.....

help pls

thanks

Quote:Greetings, 

Due to popular demand, i.e. anyweb, I'm writing this guide to help those who are having issues installing Linux on any system with the nVidia GeForce 6150 chipset (North Bridge), and the nForce 420 MP (South Bridge) chipset, in my case, the Compaq Presario V6000 laptop. In my case here, I'm installing Fedora Core 6, which is why I've posted here.

For those of you, like me, who have tried many times in the past to install a Linux distro on such a system, will have come across an issue where-by the system locks up after booting up all the system's services. This is due to the Ethernet drivers. The actual chipset its self, nVidia reports, is not at fault, but instead the drivers are.

So, how do you get around this little announace? It's actually rather simple... remove any network cables you have plugged into any NICs in your system, then boot up. Basically, what's happening is the OS is trying to obtain an IP from any DHCP servers that pick up, i.e. your router, and this for some reason causes the system to lock up.

Once you've booted up and logged in, you'll need to obtain an IP - it's also now safe to plug in your network cable, which you should do now - bring up a terminal and 'su' you to root and type "/sbin/dhclient eth0", this will get you an IP from your DHCP server/router and you should be all up and running.

At this stage, I'd suggest running over to nVidia and downloading the graphic card drivers and other drivers for your system.

I hope this helps someone out there as I was pulling my hair out over this for days.

Regards,

moveax @ EFnet, #linux-noob