Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
linux n00b (instalation

i finally decided to try out linux and people told me to try out suse because its easier for newer users. However, since im new to it, i still want to keep my windows just in case so i wanted to do a dual boot system. I was told to make a partician so i made a 500 mg linux-swap partition and made a 30 gig ext3 partition for the linux. After i did that, i popped in the disk and started to rock n roll. Installation went pretty smoothly. However, it deleted the ext3 partition i made and replaced it with its own partitions. Well the dual boot went just fine, when it rooboted, it gave me the option to go with suse and windows. I choose to go with suse and it was up....except for a problem. It seems to freeze or lock up, in a weird way. After a few clicks of the mouse, its becomes unresponsive. I can move the mouse around but it seems the button doesnt work. I also noticed the clock on the bottom right stays in time which leads me to believe its not fully freezing and i type random stuff on the keyboard and brought up a search thing and i typed something random and it did search. I will also like to note that since im using wireless in my room, suse failed to connect to the internet and did not get any updates or anything.

Note: if need be, i can take my computer downstairs and connect it to a wired connection

um..help?

in a previous post I told you to create a blank partition and to LET the linux installation partition THAT blank partition,

well, you live and you learn,

as regards your odd problem, try and remove your network cable before you boot,

does the problem go away ?

Quote:in a previous post I told you to create a blank partition and to LET the linux installation partition THAT blank partition, 

well, you live and you learn,

as regards your odd problem, try and remove your network cable before you boot,

does the problem go away ?

i DID created a blank partition for it to install into but suse decided to delete the partition i made and make a new one *shrugs*

did you try booting the system with no network cable attached?

Another thing you may want to try would be running SuSE in VMWare. That will let you install it as if you were installing on a new machine

with nothing on it. Recently I installed SuSE 10.2 on VMWare 5.5.x and it was flawless. Everything worked great and I was even a little surprised

at how well it worked. Just something else to try.

I think what anyweb is trying to tell you is that when you begin the install process, you should have two partitions on your hard drive: One for windows, and one that's blank. Don't make your own swap, don't make any ext3 partitions, do nothing. The installer makes all of them for you, and you don't have to worry about size or anything. Also, as with any linux install, sometimes strange quirks appear when you install, and they are best remedied by re-installing. Don't let this little quirk put you off from Linux, it's an amazing program once it gets going.

kabiff has explained it much better than me, so yeah,. listen to what he says, linux (the OS) does all the partitioning for you, all you need to do (to prepare for the installation) is create ONE blank partition for linux (windows can sit on the other one)

thanks kabiff !

cheers

anyweb