Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is postgresql installed on CentOS

I'm a noob with linux and need to run CentOS because Redhat Enterprise cost bucks. I'm need to verify if certain packages are installed so I can install and test a program. This is what I've done so far:

I used the rpm -q command for these programs and verified that these packages were installed:

httpd

mod_ssl

nmap

openssh

openssl

I ran the same command for postgresql but it shows the package is not installed even though when I installed CentOS I selected it to be installed. I found some help online that suggested I use the 'yum search postgresql' command; I tried it and a bunch of entries showed 'base' 'update' and installed. It is a large list so I won't include it in this post unless asked for.

Can I assume that it is installed? Is there another way I can check?

Any help is appreciated.

You don't say which version you are using, but if you run

Code:
yum install postgresql

It should give you the option to install it if it isn't already.

If it is installed, it should just go:

Quote:Parsing package install argumentsNothing to do

Quote:I'm a noob with linux and need to run CentOS because Redhat Enterprise cost bucks. I'm need to verify if certain packages are installed so I can install and test a program. This is what I've done so far: 

I used the rpm -q command for these programs and verified that these packages were installed:

httpd

mod_ssl

nmap

openssh

openssl

I ran the same command for postgresql but it shows the package is not installed even though when I installed CentOS I selected it to be installed. I found some help online that suggested I use the 'yum search postgresql' command; I tried it and a bunch of entries showed 'base' 'update' and installed. It is a large list so I won't include it in this post unless asked for.

Any help is appreciated.

Yes! You're right.

I ran the yum 'install postgresql' command and it installed postgresql-7.4.16-RHEL4.1. I then did the rpm -q postgresql command again and it showed it was there. It wasn't the 8.2.3 version but at least it shows postgresql is installed. I might be able to make do with this version. Still, I haven't found any help installing the postgresql-8.2.3.tar.gz version.

Thanks for your help

Quote:You don't say which version you are using, but if you run 

Code:
yum install postgresql

<div>

It should give you the option to install it if it isn't already.

If it is installed, it should just go:

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="2888" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic">Parsing package install argumentsNothing to do

Quote:I'm a noob with linux and need to run CentOS because Redhat Enterprise cost bucks. I'm need to verify if certain packages are installed so I can install and test a program. This is what I've done so far: 

httpd

mod_ssl

nmap

openssh

openssl

Any help is appreciated.

</div></blockquote>