Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resize lagging

Hello! This is my first post to the forum, which is great by the way.

I'm having a very strange problem on openSUSE...

When I resize a window it lags MASSIVELY (And video lags too when you resize). But the videocard (ATI x1600xt) drivers are fine, beryl is working very smooth.

It affects both Gnome and KDE and configuring the system options or beryl's didn't help.

The problem was since I installed openSUSE, and there is no references to it in the forums.

Can you help me out? :(

P.S. The problem affects only resizing and everything else runs great...

I have experienced some major lag with regards to lag under GTK libraries (this is normally related to Gnome programs but can affect programs running under KDE which use GTK). Try altering the GTK theme that is used, you can do this in Gnome. Or you can install a rather neat utility called GTK CHTheme. By switching to a lighter theme you should see some improvement but in reality, this is simply an issue with the libraries, it isn't going to be easily fixed until someone figures out some quicker methods for GTK. Obviously, disabling Beryl would improve this (again not fix), basically removing graphical elements to your windows, thus reducing what needs redrawn.

Hope that makes some sense.

You can avoid the resize lag if you want by changing a Beryl setting. What Beryl will do is when you resize a window, it won't repaint the window until you drop the mouse button and instead it will scale the contents of the window temporarily (which looks a bit strange if you drag it really big or really small but sorts itself out as soon as you let go of the mouse). Difficult to explain so here's how to try it out:

To enable this, press Alt-F2, type in beryl-settings and press Enter.

In the Beryl Settings manager, head to Window Management at the top. On the left, make sure the Resize plugin is enabled (if not, tick it) and click it to display its options in the central pane. On the Behaviour tab, choose Stretch under Resize Display Mode. If you don't like that, you can switch it back to Normal or use an Outline when resizing instead.

:)

Thank you for your replies, but nothing works... :(

If i shutdown the beryl and use the standart decoration without any plugins it remains the same, unfortunately.

And nothing is lagging in any part of the interface. Exept when I load a ton of apps and play some video the cube effect is a little slow, but I think it is not very surprizing.)

This affects only resizing. I really do not know what to do...

Quote:You can avoid the resize lag if you want by changing a Beryl setting. What Beryl will do is when you resize a window, it won't repaint the window until you drop the mouse button and instead it will scale the contents of the window temporarily (which looks a bit strange if you drag it really big or really small but sorts itself out as soon as you let go of the mouse). Difficult to explain so here's how to try it out: 

To enable this, press Alt-F2, type in beryl-settings and press Enter.

In the Beryl Settings manager, head to Window Management at the top. On the left, make sure the Resize plugin is enabled (if not, tick it) and click it to display its options in the central pane. On the Behaviour tab, choose Stretch under Resize Display Mode. If you don't like that, you can switch it back to Normal or use an Outline when resizing instead.
It works after I reinstalled the Beryl and KDE after a major partition glitch!!! It works like a charm! Thank you very much!!!

[-]
Quick Reply

Human Verification
Please tick the checkbox that you see below. This process is used to prevent automated spam bots.