Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fedora 7, rdesktop

Iam Linux-Noob. I managed to install rdesktop - took me half a day. Now iam strugling, when i want to run it.

I type

rdesktop -u myusername -g 1024x768+0+0 -k en-us **.***.143.6 (my server ip)

and i get this:

ERROR: Failed to open display:

Now i have no idea what should i do. I tried to search forums etc. but this problem can be coused by lot of things...Iam really lost here.

Any help would be apriciated.

M.

just try rdesktop ip instead

and make sure the ip address is in this format

123.123.123.123 not a mixture of en.us.comcast.123.123 or whatever

once you have it working, you can add options or use tsclient which is the front end (gui) for the tool

cheers

anyweb

Quote:just try rdesktop ip instead 

and make sure the ip address is in this format

123.123.123.123 not a mixture of en.us.comcast.123.123 or whatever

once you have it working, you can add options or use tsclient which is the front end (gui) for the tool

cheers

anyweb

I get this:

[root@IS-3086 rdesktop-1.5.0]# rdesktop 78.129.143.6

Autoselected keyboard map en-us

keyboard is not an issue i think, but i cant connect to my IP for some reason

Are you trying to open that as a user other than the one who owns the display? If you logged in as user1 and then su -'d to root, you wont be able to open a dispaly.

Quote:Are you trying to open that as a user other than the one who owns the display? If you logged in as user1 and then su -'d to root, you wont be able to open a dispaly.

No dont think so. I always login with same default username. I dont know exactly meaning of "su -", but i remember i used it during the instalation (following the guides).

Well, before this i tried VNC viewer, but i also failed at loging to the server.

The company, which i have the server from offered me to set it up, but they charge 40eur/per half-hour...so iam trying to figure out myself :/

Quote:[root@IS-3086 rdesktop-1.5.0]#

If you see the # above, that means you are root. Type 'exit' at the prompt and retry that command. If it doesn't work then, we will try something different.

got the same problem, but the reali question is this: if i`m using putty to connect to my server, and of chourse i`m using the terminal ... i got the same problem

[root@vs-1399 ~]# rdesktop 82.111.231.28

Autoselected keyboard map en-us

there is some way how to connec to the server without seeing the display? just to connect to the RDP and just make the commands like i`m on the Command Prompt?

dude !@!

i just tried the rdesktop command from my linux box here and guess what

it worked !

see screenshot

your error is probably because you are trying to do a full GUI session (rdesktop) within linux without running an X session

is that right ?

if so you want to just get a command prompt or similarthen you could use telnet (insecure) or ssh for windows

ps. put a firewall on your box so that its NOT exposed to the world like it is right now... or change the port that mstsc is listening on (by default its 3389)

cheers

anyweb

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_09_2008/post-1-1220458372.png" data-fileid="1114">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_09_2008/post-1-1220458372.png[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot_15.png (Size: 123.55 KB / Downloads: 0)

I am using Windows as OS, here is a pic that u should see, about what i`m talking about.

using a putty for login to the server, and from there to login to the rdp, there is no way i can see a display window.

if I use linux as OS with a intergrafic display sure it will work.

from a terminal from linux, as I use doesn`t work. this is why i`m asking if works or not. mabe I am too noob. [img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_ph34r.png[/img]

whaiting for an answer, thanks.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_09_2008/post-5317-1220484860.jpg" data-fileid="1115">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_09_2008/post-5317-1220484860.jpg[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.jpg   rdesktop.JPG (Size: 143.03 KB / Downloads: 0)

i don't understand why you are using windows to putty to a linux box, and then trying to do a rdesktop (rdp) session to a windows box, why not just go straight from the windows box to the other windows box using mstsc.exe ?

or am I missing something here ?

the reason you are getting failed to open display is because X is not installed on the linux box most likely

cheers

anyweb