Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CodecBuddy added to F8 !

Codec Buddy

Working with patented and non-free codecs is a sticky issue for all GNU/Linux distributions. In an effort to try and improve on the current situation, Fedora 8 will ship with Codec Buddy by default, providing users with a simple click-through GUI for enabling playback of various kinds of media. Read on for an interview with ThomasVanderStichele, Fluendo developer and Fedora contributor, and BastienNocera, Red Hat employee and Fedora contributor.

Quote:Codec Buddy 

Working with patented and non-free codecs is a sticky issue for all GNU/Linux distributions. In an effort to try and improve on the current situation, Fedora 8 will ship with Codec Buddy by default, providing users with a simple click-through GUI for enabling playback of various kinds of media. Read on for an interview with ThomasVanderStichele, Fluendo developer and Fedora contributor, and BastienNocera, Red Hat employee and Fedora contributor.
Yeah! So far I've only used Totem to play an MP3, because it's the default and I clicked the file which opened Totem and codec buddy. I installed the free codec and Totem played the file. Nice to see something that's so easy. Have to wait and see about DVD's and the like. No time to play with that stuff right now as wireless (IPW3945) still gives me fits. Seems like that is getting worse.

Quote:Have to wait and see about DVD's and the like. No time to play with that stuff right now as wireless (IPW3945) still gives me fits. Seems like that is getting worse.

that's odd, wireless worked out of the box for me with my wireless nic and mine is newer than yours,

are you sure it's ON ? (lets take this wireless question in a new thread in the F8 section please)