Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble With Speakers

Hi, complete noob here. I am running a dual boot system with Gusty Gibbon (Ubuntu 7.10) and am trying to use my Logitech THX Z-5300e 5.1 speakers but am getting nothing. Everything is fully updated as far as I can tell, the speakers work when I boot into Windows (I needs my gaming), and when I plug my old stereo speakers into my front audio jack they work fine. I see myself using Linux quite a bit as time goes on and would like to be able to listen to music while I do so.

I do not need the actual 5.1 settings (that is really just for games), if I could even get just the front two working I would be happy. I really do not want to end up needing to plug in a second set of speakers just for Linux.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

One of the most common things is that you haven't setup the volume in ALSA, so it might be that. Try opening a shell and run the command alsamixer.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_01_2008/post-798-1200324533.png" data-fileid="1011">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_01_2008/post-798-1200324533.png[/img]</a>

As you can see my "Master" is 100. You should use the up and down arrow keys to alter it. Then try playing a sound, hopefully it should work. Note you press the "Escape" key to quit alsamixer.

Hopefully that is all thats wrong here. It should store the volume levels between reboots.

Attached Files
.png   alsamixer.png (Size: 30.21 KB / Downloads: 0)
Thanks for the tip, but it did not solve my problem. Re-reading my original post, I seem to have neglected to mention that I am using the integrated audio on an Asus M2N32 motherboard.

are you absolutely sure that no channel is muted in alsamixer ? press 'm' to mute or unmute and scroll all the way to the right of the mixer to see all channels.

cheers

anyweb

Quote:are you absolutely sure that no channel is muted in alsamixer ? press 'm' to mute or unmute and scroll all the way to the right of the mixer to see all channels. 

cheers

anyweb

Ah, un-muting it did help. I am such a n00b. Cheers to both of you!