Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Want to switch, but...

I really want to switch to Linux, but there are too many Windows programs I need for my business - Photoshop CS3, Lightroom, ThumbsPlus, PCLaw, Quickbooks etc.

Is my only choice to run a virtual Windows machine, and doesn't that then negate the whole point of switching? Wouldn't those windows apps run significantly slower in a VM under Linux than directly under windows?

I'd really appreciate some straight answers here - so many Linux evangelists say "just do it", but that's not realistic if I can't get my work done...

Quote:so many Linux evangelists say "just do it", but that's not realistic if I can't get my work done...

I've been in your boat. My advice would be stick with Windows. I'm a big Linux supporter and I'll go on and on about how much better it is than Windows, but unfortunately there are still some big players who don't agree. If the tools of your trade, or the games you spend 99% of your time playing, are Windows only -- then that kind of answers it. On the other hand, there are a lot of Linux versions of populare Windows programs. There's gimp, and a number of free 3D modelers (I can't attest to how good any of those are). The question is will those tools suit your needs? and is it worth it for you to learn them if they're significantly different from what you're used to. The only real way to know is to try it out.

I've wanted to go pure-Linux for a long time but, like you, I'd end up spending 80% of my time running a Windows emulator just to get my work done. I get my Linux fix at work (admin for multiple servers) and when I play around with this $400 Linux server I put together for staging and what-not.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is Linux is great for a lot of stuff, but if it doesn't do the things you use a computer for, then it's kind of pointless to switch just so you can wear the Linux hat.

I guess I should've suggested this earlier in the post, but remember there is also dual-booting, or buying a cheapo second computer like I did, just to play. There are also Linux emulators for Windows that would give you the benefits of a LOT of Linux applications. Check out cygwin if you're curious.

Mark :)

Quote:I'd really appreciate some straight answers here - so many Linux evangelists say "just do it", but that's not realistic if I can't get my work done...

I have to back tvienti on this. Whilst you can find that virtualization or emulation can provide a greater deal of compatibility but ultimately its never like the "real thing". It is possible to dual boot but I always think of that as a halfway house that never really gives you the incentive to start using Linux.

The best choice would be to find yourself an old cheap box and install Linux on it. One of the great things about Linux is that it works well on older hardware. I am currently using this on a AMD Athlon XP (2Ghz) with only 250Mb RAM. I actually have another box which is a 1.8Ghz with around 1Gb RAM and it is a far better box for a desktop. I am sure you could pick up a similar specification of box for relatively little money and use that for your Linux systems. You can then of course network it to your Windows boxes too!

I also have a final box which is my gaming machine, it runs Windows XP. So no matter what anyone says, use the right OS for the job!

Thanks for the input, guys.

I might think about Linux for an old laptop I have. It just about runs XP, but like a dog. The crucial thing for this one would be to be able to access XP Remote desktop. Is that possible without installing any third-party software on the XP machine?

yeah you can do remote connections to XP using tsclient or rdesktop

cheers

anyweb

Quote:I might think about Linux for an old laptop I have. It just about runs XP, but like a dog.

If you find that even with Linux your hardware doesn't work fast enough, then you can always try some of the more lightweight distributions. For instance:

gOS - This is an interesting one as it drops a lot of applications in favour of being a webcentric distribution.

Puppy Linux - A small distribution, it has all the basic applications you need to have a good system.

Damn Small Linux - Super lightweight and fast performance. Intentionally made for small and old hardware.

There is lots of others the trick is that whatever the system you will find that one distribution suits you and it perfectly.

Oh yeah and tsclient is what you need to do remote access for Windows boxes (there is a minor tickbox needed to enable it on the windows side).