Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
more LCD monitor technical help

I have a new wide screen LCD monitor and it works fine. However, the extra width just means my display is stretched out.

I want more workable space. How do I go about tackling that?

It is a Samsung SyncMaster 920NW monitor and I am using the Fedora 8 distribution.

as root do

Code:
system-config-display

click on the hardware tab

for monitor type select a LCD monitor that matches (or nearly matches) the capability of your new LCD

once done click ok. Then click on the Settings tab and set your display resolution to your desired result.

cheers

anyweb

That did it. Thanks again!

You would figure I should have learned the first time around! Oh, well. I am slowly get it.

I need more help!

I buggered up my xorg.conf settings and now the display just freezes. Luckily, I save my last working settings as a xorg.conf.backup file but I have trouble accessing it. I just want to switch my file back.

I am using a PCLinuxOS live cd logged in as root to access my computer but I can not locate my computer's /etc/X11/ directory. It seems like all I get are links to etc/ directory of the PCLinuxOS live installation.

What might I be doing wrong? or what might be preventing me from accessing it?

My hard-drive installation uses logical volumes.

Try logging into your actual system and not the live CD.

When the display fails to work properly on the system, press Ctrl-Alt-F2 (or try Ctrl-Alt-F3 if that doesn't work, etc) to get one of the alternative terminals up. This is text-only, so shouldn't be affected by the messed up Xorg settings.

From there, you can login as your root user, then issue this command:

Code:
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Then reboot:

Code:
reboot

And hopefully your old settings will be restored.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks a lot! That did it.

[i guess I should be learning to do more in text mode, right?]