Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Application Nightmare

I am currently using Xebian, an Xbox distro that supposedly has full Debian support. I'm new to Linux but have followed the guides well. (Or so I hope.) I've tried to install new apps, but it has resulted in disaster. App A needs dependency B, dependency B needs dependencies C, D, E, F, G, H, i, J, etc. I was told I needed to update my sources file, and I did. I added some repositories I found on the web like Skype's - yet when I tried "apt-get install skype" (or Opera as I had the repository for that in there) I was again reminded of missing dependencies. What can I do? What have I done wrong? Help.

p.s. And yes, I did use apt-get update afterwards. I'd take a screenshot but don't know how.

Quote:I am currently using Xebian, an Xbox distro that supposedly has full Debian support. I'm new to Linux but have followed the guides well. (Or so I hope.) I've tried to install new apps, but it has resulted in disaster. App A needs dependency B, dependency B needs dependencies C, D, E, F, G, H, i, J, etc. I was told I needed to update my sources file, and I did. I added some repositories I found on the web like Skype's - yet when I tried "apt-get install skype" (or Opera as I had the repository for that in there) I was again reminded of missing dependencies. What can I do? What have I done wrong? Help. 

p.s. And yes, I did use apt-get update afterwards. I'd take a screenshot but don't know how.

How are you trying to install new apps? Through apt on the command line, from source or another way?

Also, running apt-get update afterwards probably won't help you that much, but running it before apt-get install packagename should flush out your software list and may solve the problem. If not...

You can take a screenshot in Fluxbox by running the following in a terminal window:

Code:
import -pause 10 -window root screenshot.jpg

After 10 seconds the whole screen will be saved to screenshot.jpg in your home folder. Then you can post that screenshot here, showing the dependency errors you are getting and we should be one step closer to a solution. :)

I did the update before trying Opera. Same problem. Terminal didn't recognise "import" either, I'm afraid. I discovered that Xebian has "X Window Snapshot", but unfortunately, whilst I believe I got snapshots, I couldn't locate them. Even if I could, I read they'd be raw data. Whoop-de-doo. Blurry camera phone image tomorrow then, perhaps. Why can't Linux be less frustrating?! :(

Edit: Okay, with a lot of work figuring out how to get terminal copying/pasting working (a lot for a n00b anyway) I managed to create a log of it. Ignore the stuff at the end. I was n00bing around with search commands, trying to search for the snapshots before I knew they were raw data. Hope it shows what you need. Oh, and sorry the layout is messed up. :P

Edit 2: Weird, uploading to here doesn't work. Use this link for the log: http://www.mediafire.com/?hneiwm4wi3x

Try:

Code:
apt-get -f install

Nothing after 'install', literally just that command. That should attempt to resolve the monster list of dependencies.

If you're still having problems, you can use http://paste.linux-noob.com/ to paste any output from apt, and then copy and paste the link to that here.

For reference for those who don't wish to download the file, relevant output was:

Code:
xebian:/home/live# apt-get install opera
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
amsn: Depends: sox but it is not going to be installed
      Depends: tk8.4 but it is not going to be installed
          Depends: docker but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: tcltls but it is not going to be installed
                  Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but 2.3.2.ds1-22 is to be installed
                      Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-12) but 1:3.4.3-13 is to be installed
                          Depends: libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0) but 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14 is to be installed
                              Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-12) but it is not going to be installed
                            conky: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but 2.3.2.ds1-22 is to be installed
                                     Depends: libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0) but 2.3.1-2 is to be installed
                                          Depends: libxdamage1 but it is not going to be installed
                                               Depends: libxfixes3 (>= 1:4.0.1) but it is not going to be installed
                                             gimp: Depends: gimp-data (= 2.2.13-1etch4) but it is not going to be installed
                                                 Depends: libaa1 (>= 1.2) but it is not going to be installed
                                                     Depends: libart-2.0-2 (>= 2.3.16) but it is not going to be installed
                                                         Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.2) but 1.8.0-4 is to be installed
                                                             Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but 2.3.2.ds1-22 is to be installed
                                                                 Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.2.4) but it is not going to be installed
                                                                     Depends: libexif12 but it is not going to be installed
                                                                             Depends: libfreetype6 (>= 2.2) but 2.1.7-2.4 is to be installed
                                                                                 Depends: libgimp2.0 (>= 2.2.0+rel) but it is not going to be installed
                                                                                     Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0) but 2.6.4-1 is to be installed
                                                                                         Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.8.0) but 2.6.4-3 is to be installed
                                                                                             Depends: libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0) but 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14 is to be installed
                                                                                                 Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.14.8) but 1.8.1-1 is to be installed
                                                                                                     Depends: libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4) but 1.2.8rel-1 is to be installed
                                                                                                         Depends: libwmf0.2-7 (>= 0.2.8.4) but it is not going to be installed
                                                                                                             Depends: libxfixes3 (>= 1:4.0.1) but it is not going to be installed
                                                                                                                 Depends: libxinerama1 but it is not going to be installed
                                                                                                               opera: Depends: libqt3-mt (>= 3.3.4) but it is not going to be installed
                                                                                                                        Depends: libstdc++6 but it is not going to be installed
                                                                                                                      p7zip: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.7-1) but 2.3.2.ds1-22 is to be installed
                                                                                                                               Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1) but 1:3.4.3-13 is to be installed
                                                                                                                                    Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1) but it is not going to be installed
                                                                                                                              xfe: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6) but 2.3.2.ds1-22 is to be installed
                                                                                                                                        Depends: libfox-1.6-0 but it is not going to be installed
                                                                                                                                           Depends: libfreetype6 (>= 2.2) but 2.1.7-2.4 is to be installed
                                                                                                                                                  Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-12) but 1:3.4.3-13 is to be installed
                                                                                                                                                     Depends: libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.13-4) but 1.2.8rel-1 is to be installed
                                                                                                                                                        Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-12) but it is not going to be installed
                                                                                                                                                    E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Okay, first I tried that and it seemed it installed the necessary packages for GIMP. o_O

http://paste.linux-noob.com/index.php?query=2683

Then I accidentally pasted what you can see there into the terminal window and it took me to a Debian config that allowed me to make my system clock right, lol! :) Looks like my blunders worked in my favour that time. It also told me about how broken packages can hinder future installations. There are a lot of them I imagine. *sighs* Linux, I tried.

Oh, and what happened upon "apt-get install gimp", under the assumption that its dependencies were retrieved? http://paste.linux-noob.com/index.php?query=2684

[img]<___base_url___>/uploads/emoticons/default_mad.gif[/img]

Edit: I'll try doing "apt-get -f install" again to see if it corrects this. Okay, I tried that but I think it only attempted to download a changelog. http://paste.linux-noob.com/index.php?query=2685

For some reason it looks like it's downloading packages fine, but then not actually installing them! I'm at a loss as to why, but here are a few more things to try:

Code:
apt-get -V clean
apt-get -V update
apt-get -Vf install
apt-get -V upgrade

If after that, you're still having no luck, the package files should have been downloaded from scratch, anyway, and it might be possible to install them manually.

Only do this step if you're sure the above hasn't worked.

Code:
cd /var/cache/apt/archives
dpkg -i *.deb

I tried it all, and the message I got after it tried to install all the debs from the last command was:

"Processing was halted because there were too many errors."

Not sure what to do anymore. Would it help if I posted my sources.list?

Yeah, you could try posting sources.list and it could be tested by others to see if the same results happen on normal Debian.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty much at the end of what I can think of to try and assist, sorry. I've done my best, unless anyone else has any ideas or solutions.