Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installing NIC Card Driver

I'm trying to get a 3Com Gigabot LOM (hardware name lol, funny name) on my Asus K8V Deluxe using Fedora Core 1. I pulled down the driver from the Asus site, the correct one that says "Linux" hehe lol.

I followed the instructions which were getting the tar.gz out into a folder and then I did

root@localhost: make load

it went through huge list of doing stuff and then it asked me to to do an insmod 3c2000.o of which I did and the module already exists. And I doooont know what to do next because I cant see the device in the internet configuration lol

even did an ifconfig eth0 up

still no not access.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

do you see the device in a lspci? also do you see the module in lsmod. I'm pretty sure that card is supported right out of the box
lspci? lsmod? Sorry, experienced windows user = linux noob lol

Heya, I'm now inside Fedora. I found a different driver hanging around on the net, comes in a folder named 41-Linux, I used one saying 46 Linux. So I followed the instructions as I was supposed to and i went back to my internet configuration box. Weh Hey, I saw it in the hardware section so I struggled a little but i got off my butt and went to add new connection and funnily enough the driver was there and waiting.

Thanks for the help though, cuz If i didnt search for LSPCI in the help section i'd have been stuck, opened up a console and LSPCI and i read the description for my Ethernet card and hey presto :-)

Fedora's pretty, got this annoying thing about about when your typing you hit caps type your letter at the start of a sentence and hit the caps lock again to do the next work and it leaves it in a caps like this. JUst like this lol

Fedora's pretty :-)

I'm abit less scared of the console now lol!!!! I was horrified of it the first time i started redhat 9 lol!!!!

ackies, a problem has struck. Before I got my NIC installed I had my sound card (Audigy 2Z) running fine. Since i've installed my NIC it doesn't work lol!!!!! Checked all connections so I'm thinking I might have to get the latest drivers for it for linux and maybe that'll work.... am hoping lol

Dave