Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
linux distro for ma compaq presario V6000

Hi,

I am new to linux and i would like to install linux distro into my compaq presario V6000.

AMD 64X2 Turion Processor

Nvidia Geforce 6150

Broadcom 4311 Wireless Chipset (known as a Broadcom Corporation Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-PCI Card (rev 01) )

15.4" Widescreen at 1280x800 resolution

try any of the linux LIVE CDs (or Fedoras excellent live usb creator to create a USB key with linux on it)

Distros you can try

Ubuntu 8.10

Fedora 9

OpenSuse

live CDs or usb keys will give you an idea whether linux will run on your laptop or not and they have an option to 'install to hard drive' if you want to take it further

cheers

anyweb

i tried fedora 9. it hangs the system when trin to load from cd. The GUI is not loading.

ok that's probably because of your new nvidia graphics card

can you try the newest distro in the list *ubuntu 8.10* and see how that goes ?

Quote:i tried fedora 9. it hangs the system when trin to load from cd. The GUI is not loading.
Compaq are under ownership of HP, aren't they?

If that's the case, there's a bug in the way the ACPI is handled under Fedora - something to do with the newer architecture of the motherboard. I had this issue when installing Fed7 on an HP cd5700 - you need something like "pci=nommconf" during the install, and to the boot parameters once installed. Take a look here:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers...x/k8-notes.html

Secondly, you may want to try installing Linux in non-graphical mode first. I know text-only looks ugly, but at least you can get it up and running first, then add on the GUI later on.

Lastly, there was a bug with the network card driver - if you are stuck on getting your NIC to work, note that the Broadcom uses the "tg3" module (driver). I had to manually compile a new module before there was an update out, but I heard it may affect later Fedora versions also.

The other option is to try a ubuntu CD, as anyweb suggests - people have reported a much greater level of success with this distro than others, IME.

well try damn small linux !!! or probably linux mint .. pretty good !