Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ubuntu 8.04 Dual-Boot Issues (Windows XP)

Hello everybody, I'm not going to lie and say that I'm not new to all of this so I figure I'll just admit it.

Over the past couple of days I had some hard drive issues and thought this would be as good of time as any to try this whole Linux thing again... (had some issues with a Vista dual boot at one point in time absolutely hosing the drive, though that was Vista I'm fairly certain)

So I installed XP back on the new drive that I found but only partitioned 150 GB for XP. The remainder of it I left for a Linux Distro in this case Ubuntu 8.04. I used the rest of it during the Ubuntu install process. I then rebooted the computer and everything went downhill from there. I can get into Windows XP just fine, however whenever I try and boot into Ubuntu it gets to

running boot scripts local /etc/rc.local [OK]

but after that the screen will just turn black and sit there and do nothing else. The version that I select in Grub is

Ubuntu 8.04.1 kernel 2.6.24-21-generic

However the other options that are available are Ubuntu 8.04.1 kernel 2.6.24-21-generic (recovery mode), Ubuntu 8.04.1 kernel 2.6.24-19-generic and Ubuntu 8.04.1 kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (recovery mode) there is also a selection for Ubuntu 8.04.1, memtest86+

I'm assuming the last one is just to check the drive integrity. Any assistance would be great as I'd love to be able to actually use Ubuntu, but obviously cannot if I cannot get into the system itself.

Thanks

Jonathan.

hi and welcome, do you have nvidia graphics card ?