Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
how to install files that don't end in rpm
When I down load a compressed tarball or use add software utility in fedora 7 and get a compressed tarball I have no problem unpacking it but then I've got a collection of files I can't do anything with. I've tried './ configure' (as root) when I am in the same directory as unpacked files. I get "./ is a directory'. I tried just 'configure' and get 'command not found'. What am I missing?

Quote:When I down load a compressed tarball or use add software utility in fedora 7 and get a compressed tarball I have no problem unpacking it but then I've got a collection of files I can't do anything with. I've tried './ configure' (as root) when I am in the same directory as unpacked files. I get "./ is a directory'. I tried just 'configure' and get 'command not found'. What am I missing?

You don't want a space between ./ and configure:

Code:
./configure

It's all one chunk, with no space.

Otherwise, if you include the space, you're asking it to execute the directory ./ and then just pass the word configure as an argument.

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="12822" data-ipsquote-username="zbrian" data-cite="zbrian" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="3664" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>When I down load a compressed tarball or use add software utility in fedora 7 and get a compressed tarball I have no problem unpacking it but then I've got a collection of files I can't do anything with. I've tried './ configure' (as root) when I am in the same directory as unpacked files. I get "./ is a directory'. I tried just 'configure' and get 'command not found'. What am I missing?

Code:
./configure

Otherwise, if you include the space, you're asking it to execute the directory ./ and then just pass the word configure as an argument.

</div></blockquote>

Quote:<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="12823" data-ipsquote-username="hybrid" data-cite="hybrid" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="3664" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-contentcommentid="12822" data-ipsquote-username="zbrian" data-cite="zbrian" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="3664" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>When I down load a compressed tarball or use add software utility in fedora 7 and get a compressed tarball I have no problem unpacking it but then I've got a collection of files I can't do anything with. I've tried './ configure' (as root) when I am in the same directory as unpacked files. I get "./ is a directory'. I tried just 'configure' and get 'command not found'. What am I missing?

Code:
./configure

</div></blockquote>

</div></blockquote>

Thanks for the comment Hybrid, I tried it again being careful not to space and the computer said 'bash:./configure: No such file or directory'

try this

Code:
pwd

does it show the same directory that you were expecting the code to be in ? ie: you can only do ./configure in the directory that you extracted the source code...

cheers

anyweb

Quote:try this 

Code:
pwd

<div>

does it show the same directory that you were expecting the code to be in ? ie: you can only do ./configure in the directory that you extracted the source code...

cheers

anyweb

</div>

Thank you, I did what you said and './configure' worked. I had to go back and read the README file because the 'Make' comand didn't run. It had this instruction: from top-level directory you must run ' ./tools/wineinstall ' . I did this and was denied permission so I switched to root and tried it again and got: ' you are running wineinstall as root, this is not advisable. Please rerun. Aborting. ' I'm not allowed to run it as user or as root. I don't think that's fair. It's my computer in my home and it treats my like a whining schoolboy.

Here, I think the problem is simply that ./tools/wineinstall is not set to have execute permissions. It won't run as root, because among other things it would then install wine into root's environment not yours, which wouldn't be awfully helpful.

You can change the permissions on the file to make it executable like this:

Code:
chmod a+x ./tools/wineinstall

This changes the permissions mode of the file (chmod) and adds execute permissions for all users (a+x).

Now try running ./tools/wineinstall again.

Quote:Here, I think the problem is simply that ./tools/wineinstall is not set to have execute permissions. It won't run as root, because among other things it would then install wine into root's environment not yours, which wouldn't be awfully helpful. 

Code:

<div>

This changes the permissions mode of the file (chmod) and adds execute permissions for all users (a+x).

</div>

Thanks Hybrid your reply was helpful. I ran 'chmod a+x ./tools/wineinstall' and was denied permission to run chmod. So I looked up chmod in my book and saw there is a

chown and a chgrp. So I changed owner and group from root to user(myself). Then I ran './tools/wineinstall' and received the following response:

Wine Installer v1.0

Running configure...

checking build system type

checking host system type

checking wether make sets $(MAKE)

Quote:Here, I think the problem is simply that ./tools/wineinstall is not set to have execute permissions. It won't run as root, because among other things it would then install wine into root's environment not yours, which wouldn't be awfully helpful. 

Code:

<div>

</div>

Thanks Hybrid your reply was helpful. I ran 'chmod a+x ./tools/wineinstall' and was denied permission to run chmod. So I looked up chmod in my book and saw there is a

chown and a chgrp. So I changed owner and group from root to user(myself). Then I ran './tools/wineinstall' and received the following response:

Wine Installer v1.0

Running configure...

checking build system type

checking host system type

checking wether make sets $(MAKE)

checking for gcc ... no

checking for cc ... no

checking for cl.exe ... no

configure : error : in '/usr/local/src/wine-1.1.8':

configure : error : no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH

See 'config.log' for more details.

I've never installed softwaqre before but this is a cool way to learn how linux works.

Well, the first problem is now solved and we're running into a different beast now.

The problem you're now getting is that you don't have a compiler installed. A compiler takes the source code of the program (in this case, the Wine source that you downloaded) and converts it into a binary program file that your computer can run.

The compiler that we use most often on Linux is called gcc, so we want to install that alongside a few other tools we'll need to build the program. You can install those by running the following command as root in a terminal:

Code:
yum groupinstall "Development Tools"

or if you prefer you can use the graphical software install tools to install the whole Development Tools packages.

Once this install is complete, try running ./configure again. It might work straight from there, or we'll have the next error message to solve. :)