Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
updated Fedora 9 to Fedora 10 today

I updated my Fedora 9 laptop today to Fedora 10, and this is how I did it incase any of you want to try (this is for the 32 bit release)

Quote:[root@localhost]# cat /etc/redhat-release Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)

yup, it's Fedora 9 ^

ok, let's get some packages, (pick a mirror near you, I'm in sweden so I chose the one below)

ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distribution...86/os/Packages/

Code:
wget ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/fedora/linux/releases/10/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-notes-10.0.0-1.noarch.rpm

wget ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/Linux/distributions/fedora/linux/releases/10/Fedora/i386/os/Packages/fedora-release-10-1.noarch.rpm

and then install them

Code:
rpm -Uvh fedora-release-notes-10.0.0-1.noarch.rpm fedora-release-10-1.noarch.rpm

then do an update...

Code:
yum update

i got some dependancy errors relating to f-spot and qemu, and resolved them by doing yum remove f-spot && yum remove qemu and then trying again

yum then downloaded 986 updates, and prompted me to install them

Quote:(986/986): openoffice.org-core-3.0.0-9.10.fc10.i386.rpm | 90 MB 01:20 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total 1.0 MB/s | 1.1 GB 18:57

warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4ebfc273

Importing GPG key 0x4EBFC273 "Fedora (10) <fedora@fedoraproject.org>" from /etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora-i386

Is this ok [y/N]: y

the package updating takes a long time......

don't forget to reboot after yum is done updating

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_12_2008/post-1-1229372913.png" data-fileid="1121">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_12_2008/post-1-1229372913.png[/img]</a>

Attached Files
.png   Screenshot.png (Size: 1.06 MB / Downloads: 0)
I'm downloading the Fedora 10 iso right now. I'm thinking about trying it in a VM first to see how I like it, then maybe switching my desktop from Ubuntu 8.10 to Fedora 10.

I've had a reasonable play with Fedora 10 now.

For some reason Fedora 9 wouldn't play with my hardware, so I skipped that release, but I installed F10 directly from the live CD variant and it looks really nice. There is good attention to detail with things like the GNOME menu bar and taskbar animating in when you log in that make it feel very polished.

I definitely plan on installing it and using it for awhile - I've heard nothing but good things about it. Now, whether or not it works with my hardware is another thought all together.
I just realized that I installed Fedora 10 i386 release but I would rather need/like the a64 version. Is there a possibility to change without re-installing everything. Sounds like a stupid question to me but if I don't ask i'll never know.
stay with what you have until the next version comes out in 6 months or so, then reinstall the new 64 bit version

If you try a "yum update", see if it detects the 64-bit chip and offers to download a new/different kernel.

I did something similar a bit ago - installed Fedora7 from DVD then "yum update" offered to update the kernel to the SMP one (was a dual-core machine).

Quote:If you try a "yum update", see if it detects the 64-bit chip and offers to download a new/different kernel. 

I did something similar a bit ago - installed Fedora7 from DVD then "yum update" offered to update the kernel to the SMP one (was a dual-core machine).

SMP is just a new kernel, to change to x86_64 is a major upgrade that 99% of the time will fail (You have to hack the repo files to even get it to try). You will need to download the x86_64 cd /DVD and do a re-install.