Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Linux Fedora to read/write all drives and partitions?

I have a sata drive split into four partitions and they are: windoze xp64 (FAT 32), Linux Fedora 9 (native format), a partition for my games (FAT 32), and a very tiny slice for Linux swap. Then I have an external HDD (USB-NTFS). I have a dual-layer DVD burner (IDE). I have an internal HDD (IDE-NTFS).

Windoze does not recognize the Linux partition as a formatted partition. I am fine with that.

Linux can see all these drives and partitions, but can only access the data of the Linux partition, the DVD burner, and the external HDD. It can not access, read or write the data of any of the other drives or partitions.

I have told Linux to mount them and I am still not able to access, read or write the data.

Thanks in advance,

Bakshara the Linux noob!

do you have the ntfs-3g module loaded ?

Quote:do you have the ntfs-3g module loaded ?

Three things:

1) What is "ntfs-3g module?"

2) I do not know if the "ntfs-3g module" is loaded.

3) My external HDD is NTFS and I can access, read and write to it.

Bakshara the Linux noob

ok if you can write to the usb ntfs drive then you must have ntfs-3g installed...

if you wanted you could install it via yum

Code:
yum install ntfs-3g

anyways, have you tried mounting any of these other drives as root ? does it work ?

Quote:Windoze does not recognize the Linux partition as a formatted partition. I am fine with that.

Try: http://www.fs-driver.org/ - you can then view linux partitions under windows.

Use fdisk -l (-l = list) to see what partitions are viewable under Linux.

Use lsmod to list what modules are loaded. If the NTFS module isn't there, it probably needs loading with the modprobe command (or insmod/depmod - forget which is it now!)

If the package providing the module is missing, then it'll need to be installed - as anyweb pointed out there - but it seems it's okay.

How are you "trying to mount them". What error messages are you getting? Try mount on its own to see what IS mounted.

I know it has been a while. I do not know how many BIOS updates I have done before and they all worked. Then I did a BOIS update this time and it fried my PC. I had to buy a new Motherboard CPU combo. Since that I installed Fedora 10 over Fedora 9. The internet and drive problems I was having before are gone.

It is working great now, except one key thing...

How do I run a program? When I double click on a program file it will ask me what I want to do with four options: Run in Terminal, ???, ???, Run.

Whether I chose Run in Terminal or Run it does not seem to do anything.

What do I need to do? I am trying to install wine, amongst other things.

Thank you,

Bakshara the Linux noob!

Quote:How do I run a program? When I double click on a program file it will ask me what I want to do with four options: Run in Terminal, ???, ???, Run.
What program is it you're trying to run?

Most graphical applications install an icon in the menu, so you should find a link to common applications (firefox, gimp, etc) in your "start" menu - look for the KDE cogwheel, or fedora hat - usually top-left but could be bottom-left.

If it is a binary or script, you need to open a terminal window and type in the name of the file - double-clicking gives this option (run in terminal) but just be careful of running untrusted programs as a privileged user (root).

Also - did you try any of those options, and see what effect it had?

A couple things:

First, thanks to Dungeon-Dave for,

why are you using Fedora 9 its not supported any more, as in out of date,

Fedora 11 is the latest release and its excellent !

you need to start using the tools that come with the distro so to install wine just do this

open a terminal (like a command prompt) and change the user to root by doing this

Code:
su -

once done, enter roots password when asked

then try this

Code:
yum install wine

cheers

Anyweb,

Just a couple things

Thanks for the info about opening a terminal and how to install wine. I will give it a go!

You must have missed my post on June 23rd when I said, "