Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Skype on Fedora 10

I joined Skype using Windows XP where it worked ok. I have now installed Skype on Fedora 10 which opens the account, takes calls and plays sound but doesn't produce a webcam picture. (Creative Live! Cam which works ok in Fedora's Cheese Webcam Booth) When I open Options/video in Skype and click on Test picture the Skype program disappears leaving just the log-in screen. Can anyone advise me how to fix this?

Cheers, GM

as a test, try running skype from a terminal that you have logged in as root to (applications/system tools/terminal)

do the same thing, does it work as root ? if not do you see any error messages reported in the terminal ?

Quote:as a test, try running skype from a terminal that you have logged in as root to (applications/system tools/terminal)  

do the same thing, does it work as root ? if not do you see any error messages reported in the terminal ?

Thanks -- running skype from the terminal and doing the picture test produces the same result (no picture), with the following report:

Alsa lib pcm.c:2202:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi (This line appears 6 times)

Starting the process...

skype xv:xv ports available: 32

skype xShm: xShm support enabled

skype xv: Using xv port 57

Is this report useful? Cheers, GM

doesnt help sorry, did you try running it as root or as a normal user ?

Quote:doesnt help sorry, did you try running it as root or as a normal user ?

Thanks. Running the test as root produces the same result with the same report.

Cheers, GM