Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
site spamming in progress ?

i'd like to think that the site was busy but look at this

> Online Users

There are 74 online users browsing:

20 members and 54 visitors

anyweb, ssrs10, Ask Jeeves*, GigaG33k, Condor, wootSRT, Chib, mobilelawyer, snoopY, F

as a direct result of the above i've now disabled Personal Messangers for members

and will go through the list above and ban all those accounts unless someone can give me a reason not to

sorry....

if any of you got a spam from these lowlifes can you please post the details here ?

Quote:if any of you got a spam from these lowlifes can you please post the details here ?

You have a new personal message ( linux-noob.com/forums )

linux-noob.com/forums

<admin@linux-noob.com> Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 7:11 AM

To: xxxxxxxxx@gmail.com

vois22,

mignulikz has sent you a new personal message titled "Hello".

Mine was spamola from user: mignulikz

Could not access the actual message content because you had turned off personal messaging by the time I got to my email and logged in.

hi and thanks for the info, unfortunately we got stung and i apologise...

i've re-enabled pm but only 1pm allowed per time...

still dont know how the spambot manages to email EVERYONE on the forum using PM.....

Hey,

Just received the same sort of mail from the same user. Good thing I didnt click on the link.

It was weird cuz i have not visited L-noob in ages - so a message was a little odd. :)Noticed this post and turned out that my suspicion was right.

Thanks for the quick update. Hope u can fix it...

I had the same thing also.

nb: Anyweb: many of those IPs resolve to known home connections, so it may be an idea to forward them to the relevant upstream ISPs.

Some ISPs take a dim view of trojaned/compromised machines, so could yank their inet access until they're clean; others may just warn the customer. It may not rid the world of some open relays, but nonetheless a few ISPs may still decide to take action: it doesn't harm to forward reports.

hi DUngeon-dave, i've been thinking that maybe not all those users were the spambots, some of them seem to be genuine users that joined years ago, maybe they signed in to READ the spam pm that the original spammer sent...

i don't know

There were several of these in my inbox. just deleted them.

Quote:i'd like to think that the site was busy but look at this 

> Online Users

There are 74 online users browsing:

20 members and 54 visitors

anyweb, ssrs10, Ask Jeeves*, GigaG33k, Condor, wootSRT, Chib, mobilelawyer, snoopY, F

well one positive note from this, it brings all the lost souls like me out of the woodwork :) sheesh i can't believe it's almost 2 years since i registered. where the heck have i been. let me get busy and update my profile and catch up on some reading.

glad you were able to get this under control. the link is inactive in my pm box. i was able to copy/paste but it redirects to 127.0.0.1, hahaha. meaning the site it goes to is in my hosts file. these spammers are nothin' but failures, haha.

alright let's see if i can stop twittering long enough to contribute something.