Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C++ And Linux

Hi, Im fairly new to linux and c++. I've used ubuntu for a year or so, but I dont really do any tricky stuff with it.

I have just finish reading Sams teach yourself C++ in 21 days.

my goal is to create a plugin for mythtv...

can anyone point me to any reading material to help me program in linux.. preferably graphical type programming.

ive tried to look through mythtv plugin source but its very confusing. it just seems to be alot of headers to a alot of different files nad i get lost..

not to mention i dont really understand Qstrings or all these types.. im quiet green when it comes to coding. espessially in linux.

any help would be appreciated!

Perhaps after reading your book, you may want to start with something small - a small app that does something text-based then graphical, such as a calculator or desktop diary.

From there, move up to screensaver or a more complex app. At some point you'll discover frameworks for specific apps that enable you to code a plugin or snapin.

At present you seem to have read a book on learning to drive then opened up a car engine and seem confused at your inability to figure out what it all means. I don't think looking at the source is the right way to go - check that there is some framework for adding in plugins, see what standards have been established, see if you can modify one or two existing plugins first.

I agree, don't set your goal too high otherwise failure will mean disappointment, better to set the bar low and succeed ! :)and then move higher,

good luck and welcome to linux-noob.com